Angelfish Spawn for the 2nd time

now

For my 2nd post I thought I would share what I am dealing with.

Seems I have stumbled on the right conditions for angels to spawn.

I have a pair of marble angels which started out quite small when I got them 5 months ago.

Since then they have grown from about 2.5 inches to 4" for her and over 5 " for him.

The first spawn resulted in about 150 wigglers, following the advice from a poor source

we moved them to a separate tank away from the parents, bad move, didn't turn out well at all

about 4 weeks later a larger spawn took place, kind of thought something was up when they

started to push over plants and ornaments in the tank looking for a good place to lay eggs.

sure enough the next day I got to watch as about 500 eggs were placed on the ss thermometer.

Following better advice this batch was to stay with the parents, tank mates were moved out

just in time, seems angel fry makes great food even for the smallest fish, guessing 50% were lost.

its been about 3 weeks since free swimming took place and the fry are starting to make large gains in

size some are over half an inch now, during this time about another 50% were lost.

So I have just over 100 angel fry which are doing very well it seems.

I am sure if I were to try harder the losses could be lowered greatly, but I have one question.

What am I to do with all these fish if I get them to a good size?

I just setup a 55 gal tank for this batch to move into once they get a little bigger but even

this size will be to small for 100+ fish!

Also any tips in caring for fry could be posted in this thread I am always open to input

I am a little worried about moving them to the new tank, thinking of moving the parents

to the new tank, they seem to be getting quite stressed and leaving the fry to get bigger

for another 3 or 4 weeks in the small breeding tank.30gal

OK enough for now

later

Matt

Well 55 gallons will be fine for a bit but once they get bigger you will need to get rid of them. If you would like you could also cull lots of the fry. And angle fry and very small so i would recamend starting off with hikari first bites. You could also get a jar of NLS grow and grind it up into a powder for them.

Also I know a member on aa breeds angles and he should be able to answer any more angles questions.

best of luck

Dustin

For my angels I use Wardley's fry liquid for the first week giving them som 3 times a day. Then I start them on NLS Grow formula ground up through a pepper mill. Once they get big enough they go to the Grow formula pellets. I syphon my free swimmers off and put them in an established tank keeping the tank cycled by using one or 2 small fish and removing them when I add the fry.

everything is going well so far.

the fry are starting to look like angels and growing faster than ever.

so far no more losses at all still over 100 going strong.

there are only 3 now that are still quite small but they seem to be getting bigger as well.

they are getting live shrimp and first bits and they eat up like mad.

have to keep on top of water, these little things sure put through the food!

thanks for in the input:)

later

matt

For my angels I use Wardley's fry liquid for the first week giving them som 3 times a day. Then I start them on NLS Grow formula ground up through a pepper mill. Once they get big enough they go to the Grow formula pellets. I syphon my free swimmers off and put them in an established tank keeping the tank cycled by using one or 2 small fish and removing them when I add the fry.

i have the wardley stuff but they seem to go for the first bits much better and go mad for the fresh shrimp.

hope to have the 50 gal tank ready for just them by the end of the week.

thought has crossed my mind to start up another 50gal tank for just the parents. :) lol this is getting out of hand.

its like being a kid again but with the money to do the stupid things my parents would have said no to.

I think i need someone to say no. not sure if its a good thing but my wife is more into it than i am .

matt

Edited by now