titanium heaters

ABwildrose

PS: You can purchase the above heater at Kensfish, where I bought mine.

Or, if I am convinced to do another order from the US (I was not particularly thrilled with the speed my last order was shipped), prices run about the same, including shipping and import taxes.

To be honest, with the exception of one box (that USPS lost) out of the many that were arriving, I didn't have any issues. Import taxes depend on whether the customs officials decide open the box and charge you. Keep in mind that NAFTA permits the importation of products, made in the USA or Mexico, without paying any customs (GST) fees. Check the products you ordered as they were likely manufactured in a non-NAFTA country.

Why type of shipping method did you choose?

Where do you plan on ordering the same heater from in the future?

J B)

{QUOTE}To be honest, with the exception of one box (that USPS lost) out of the many that were arriving

UPS, and they mis-placed one of three...thats a whole 33%. You didn't deal with these guys, they were a joke....next time I will go USPS parcel.

Keep in mind that NAFTA permits the importation of products, made in the USA or Mexico, without paying any customs (GST) fees. Check the products you ordered as they were likely manufactured in a non-NAFTA country.

Quite aware of this, and I expected to pay some customs (which, thanks to some finagaling, turned out to be >$50 on a $1400 order), as the heaters are made in China (where else?), but the UPS brokerage fees and fiascos I can do without.

Why type of shipping method did you choose?

Again, UPS....but I decided to let the shipper choose what he usually went with, although I can change that in future. Many US distributors deal with only one service when shipping cross-boarder, and you are stuck with it.

Where do you plan on ordering the same heater from in the future?

Not sure....I may go with the same chap, or, if the cost will be the same or less (I already get them at wholesale, but it will depend on tariffs and shipping costs), do a direct wholesale order.

To clarify: "Customs Fees" and GST are exclusive. Customs will charge a flat handling fee just to have the package pass across the border (often waived) as well as duties (often not waived). NAFTA does provide for duty free as mentioned, however things from other countries can go over 30%... and that is based on the retail cost, or the appraised cost according to Customs, not the "price you paid". As well, GST is payable on nearly everything shipped across the 49th parallel, regardless of origin or purpose... exceptions I believe are gifts, etc.

There is an entire section of the Gov't of Canada site that pours over all of this, and it's very dry reading... but it's there. I have been involved in many transactions involving cross-border shipping over the years (used to work for a company based out of the US, so everything was shipped and a hassle) and have become quite bitter at the difficulty I had even dealing with the simplest things.

I have some interesting Customs stories... for another day.

IMO: Buy from a Canadian importer; let them deal with the hassle and consider their mark-up to be "headache reduction fees" B)

IMO: Buy from a Canadian importer; let them deal with the hassle and consider their mark-up to be "headache reduction fees" B)

Which would be OK, if there were any wholesale Canadian importers....and the retail ones upcharge between 100%-300%....I would rather have the headaches and a $25 heater than no headaches and the same heater at $85.