Tank too small? fish distressed?

Gnaw

These are the fish in question.

post-3859-1230847704_thumb.jpg

I'm done my best to spread out large pieces of lava rock around the tank so each fish may have their own roost.

The L. Vellicans (brown one) owns the tank, even though he is smaller than the peacock. He mostly keeps to himself inside the largest rock enclosure and only leaves it to feed. This is not unusual, I read once that these fish are rarely seen and prefer dark places. Most of the time he plays peek-a-boo with me but he will chase out most of the other fish when they venture too deep inside his home. He does however tolerate and shares his house with the peacock, but yesterday I noticed a full bite taken out of the peacock's tail fin. These two fish have always been like this with one another. Once in awhile one will let the other know who's the boss, than the next day they are happily sharing the large rock structure.

I'm really worried about the two electric yellows. I know their behavior is more passive compared to other cichlids which is why I decided on two of them so they could pair-up, which they do. However both of these fish are usually seen in pursuit by either of the other two, but I've never actually seen them attack them. The larger, more mature, one only has a few small nips in the fins but doesn't look like he is in distressed. The smaller one I'm very worried about!

The smallest cichlid in the tank, other electric yellow, is in trouble. Since last week I notice he is clinging to the corners of the tank, under leafs of the java fern or hugging the intake from the canister filter. He has tears or bites in his tail and pectoral fins. His tail is drooping down-ward as well.

I did a water test and everything check-out normal. Maybe its not as apparent to me as it is to someone else that these fish have outgrown their home? What should I do? What can I do? Suggestions? I can't afford another setup right now. What you read in my signature is what I have.

A 21 gallon tank is EXTREMELY too small to have african cichlids in. Get a bigger tank set up for them, remove 2 of the fish, or continue having the problems you are, and probably worse. These are your options in this case as I see it.

BTW, footprint means the size of the bottom of the tank, length by width.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

Aw, I'm a bad cichlid dad! :(

When I got them they where much smaller. The gf still owes me an x-mass present, but I think BA's Sale is over... what size tank should I upgrade this too?

If I can't find/afford it I'm going to have to give them away!

* BA's is closed today, I will get them a bigger tank asap, not sure on size!

Edited by Gnaw

I'd say get to work on that 100 gallon!

A 55 would work though.

Boom

If only I got the 100 Gallon sooner! I could have restored it and built and a 'Boom-like' awesome stand for it.

The new semester is approaching fast and I'm in the middle of finishing the laminate flooring for the new apartment down-stairs (which I'll be moving into).

On the bright-side, this is a perfect opportunity to move the aquarium into the new apartment and upgrade it.

I just spent the last 2 hours convincing the gf to take a trip with me to BA's in the morning. I'll let you know what happens...

Ha ha ha.. "Boom-like", I LOVE it! Thanks for the compliment.

Instead of buying new at BA's, why not grab a used one off here for cheaper?

I think there's a few up for grabs right now. If not on here then try Kijiji.

Boom :boom:

Ha ha ha.. "Boom-like", I LOVE it! Thanks for the compliment.

lol, I can't believe your on. I just sent you a pm. I think instead of the new tank I'll try to get the 100 gallon up and use the money I was going to put into a new tank into a filter of some kind for the 100 gallon.