Sick White Cloud...

thedarkstar

I purchased a cluster of White clouds a month+ ago from Natures corner store and havn't had any problems with this hardy little fish until last night. Essentially I have found no real physical concerns, ick, fungus, etc... But her? tail seems to be limp and she appears to just float along at the top and when she does swim even a bubbler will be enough to send her flying to the top of the tank.

The difference I have noted is towards the head, her jaw seems almost swollen and see through in places, constantly "gasping" for air at the top of the tank. I removed this fish to a sickbay and tested my water...

Normal pH, 0 ammonia/nitrites and 5 on the nitrates.

Anyone have any idea what this can be?

Aw, I like little white clouds.

If its gasping at the surface and you say there is no ammonia than it couldn't be ammonia poisoning.

Only other thing I can think-of based on your described is oxygen starvation. Are there any other fish swimming near the top? There is the possibility that the tank is over-crowded?

What do the eyes look like? Look normal?

Other than that I don't really know? Anyone else suggestions?

Edited by Gnaw

Aw, I like little white clouds.

If its gasping at the surface and you say there is no ammonia than it couldn't be ammonia poisoning.

Only other thing I can think-of based on your described is oxygen starvation. Are there any other fish swimming near the top? There is the possibility that the tank is over-crowded?

What do the eyes look like? Look normal?

No other fish near the top other than some new-born livebearers in the riccia. As for oxygen, planted tank with a bubbler... I think that's more than enough oxygen given the small fish in the tank.

Eyes seemed to look normal, kinda looked rolled back in the head at times.