200g stocking

humpty

Hey sounds like a nice set up! :thumbs: The average adult oscar (12" - 18") requires approx. 55 gallons each (poo factories) and thats considering a minimum of 1/3 water changes weekly. The terror and dempsey are about 35 gallons each, you are not far from maxed out already. But you do have killer filtration. :bow:

good luck :thumbs:

I completely disagree with that, Oscars need more than 55 gallons of water each. Remember these things eat very messy, poop lots, and are very hard to keep up with. I had a large (15"+) oscar who I was healing from battle wounds in a 55 gallon, and I had to do 50% WC's every third day just cause of how messy he was. I had an XP2 and an AC 110 for filtration, and he was still messy. Terrors and Dempseys are not as messy as Oscars but are still messy. Would you put either of these fish in a 35 for life? I sure wouldn't. I've seen Dempseys attain a size of 10-12" on occasion. I wouldn't suggest adding more than 2 more large cichlids (12"+) unless you plan on overdoing filtration and doing 50% Wc's almost every other day.

Remember these things eat very messy, poop lots, and are very hard to keep up with
I wouldn't suggest adding more than 2 more large cichlids (12"+) unless you plan on overdoing filtration and doing 50% Wc's almost every other day.

I am only going to be adding one more, the albino red tiger I was talking about.

I take extra precaution in not overfeeding them to keep the tank cleaner. Not so messy at feeding time and not as much poop in the tank.

I've had the oscars for 3 years, I know when they are being overfeed and when they are hungry.

Also I may be wrong but I thought 2 FX5's each rated for 400g, on a 200g tank was overkill for the filtration.

I suggest a clown knife, very cool fish, gets along really well with my Oscar.

They are very cool, but I dont see it doing to well in my tank. All the other fish can hold there own, I don't know if a clown knife could or would.

Edited by humpty

I am only going to be adding one more, the albino red tiger I was talking about.

I take extra precaution in not overfeeding them to keep the tank cleaner. Not so messy at feeding time and not as much poop in the tank.

I've had the oscars for 3 years, I know when they are being overfeed and when they are hungry.

Also I may be wrong but I thought 2 FX5's each rated for 400g, on a 200g tank was overkill for the filtration.

you can't really go over on filtration, uncless it's like a 50 gallon sump on a 20 gallon lmao.

but fx5 boxes tell you that they do how ever many gallons

but realistically when you add your media and everything

they do probably more like 140 gallons.

2 of those is very safe on a 200 gallon.

Hey sounds like a nice set up! :thumbs: The average adult oscar (12" - 18") requires approx. 55 gallons each (poo factories) and thats considering a minimum of 1/3 water changes weekly. The terror and dempsey are about 35 gallons each, you are not far from maxed out already. But you do have killer filtration. :bow:

good luck :thumbs:

I completely disagree with that, Oscars need more than 55 gallons of water each. Remember these things eat very messy, poop lots, and are very hard to keep up with. I had a large (15"+) oscar who I was healing from battle wounds in a 55 gallon, and I had to do 50% WC's every third day just cause of how messy he was. I had an XP2 and an AC 110 for filtration, and he was still messy. Terrors and Dempseys are not as messy as Oscars but are still messy. Would you put either of these fish in a 35 for life? I sure wouldn't. I've seen Dempseys attain a size of 10-12" on occasion. I wouldn't suggest adding more than 2 more large cichlids (12"+) unless you plan on overdoing filtration and doing 50% Wc's almost every other day.

For the record, I am not suggesting anyone put an oscar in 55 gallons, or a dempsey in a 35, what i'm saying is these are the absolute minimum amounts of water needed for waste dilution from these fish.(with proper waterchanges) An adult oscar(16") in a standard 55, which is only 12 inches wide, needs to curl just to turn around, that's just mean, mine did his grow out in a 90 and now he's in a 125.

These volumes are suggested purely for the purpose of combining fish in a large tank. Believe me, I am totally an advocate for over filtration and over gallons.

Sorry don't mean to jack your thread, but clarification seemed necessary. As I said before, I think you are close to maxed out already, any additions will only cause more maintenance.

Again.... good luck with your tank :thumbs: , I hope all goes well.