Help on some hardware decisions

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to these threads so please point out if I'm breaking any forum rules.

I've been doing research on tons of websites as to where to buy the cheapest supplies for a reef tank (canopy/lights, filter, powerheads, salt and sand, and live rock etc...). I realized that instead of wasting many hours on finding the cheapest place for every item, then calculating shipping, etc,... I could just ask you guys for help.

Is there a one stop store (physical store or online store) where you can get pretty much anything for very close to the best price? (For my hobby of photography, there is such a thing, so I'm hoping there's something like this for aquatics too).

Specifically, right now, i'm looking to buy these items right now:

36" 4x39W T5 HO light setup:

Current Nova seems to be the established brand here am I right? I also found on Ebay a brand called Odyssea that is way way cheaper. Are they any good?

Canister Filter:

Debating between Filstar XP2 or Fluval 305. Fluval is more expensive it seems but the 305 line seems to be newer than the XP line. Is there any newer technology that makes them better than the XP? Also heard of a new comer JEBO 828/838. They are super cheap but I can find any retailers that will ship to Edmonton for cheap. Have you heard of a good place to get JEBO's?

This is for a 50gal tank and not looking to grow any SPS or LPS.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by serratus

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to these threads so please point out if I'm breaking any forum rules.

I've been doing research on tons of websites as to where to buy the cheapest supplies for a reef tank (canopy/lights, filter, powerheads, salt and sand, and live rock etc...). I realized that instead of wasting many hours on finding the cheapest place for every item, then calculating shipping, etc,... I could just ask you guys for help.

Is there a one stop store (physical store or online store) where you can get pretty much anything for very close to the best price? (For my hobby of photography, there is such a thing, so I'm hoping there's something like this for aquatics too).

Specifically, right now, i'm looking to buy these items right now:

36" 4x39W T5 HO light setup:

Current Nova seems to be the established brand here am I right? I also found on Ebay a brand called Odyssea that is way way cheaper. Are they any good?

Canister Filter:

Debating between Filstar XP2 or Fluval 305. Fluval is more expensive it seems but the 305 line seems to be newer than the XP line. Is there any newer technology that makes them better than the XP? Also heard of a new comer JEBO 828/838. They are super cheap but I can find any retailers that will ship to Edmonton for cheap. Have you heard of a good place to get JEBO's?

This is for a 50gal tank and not looking to grow any SPS or LPS.

Thanks in advance!

go too canreef.com they will have tons of used things in edmonton that will help you as for going with a cannister filter i would throw that out the window and spend your money on a good skimmer

I have to agree that the skimmer is the biggest and most important decision as far as equipment goes... are you going to have a sump, or will you need a HOT model?

Canister filters are kinda optional for use in reef tanks... they're nice to have for chemical filtration, but all your biological filtration is done by the rock in the tank. There are pretty heated debates as to which brand is best... but both the XP and the Fluval are fine, really.

I'm not familiar with any of the stores in Edmonton, unfortunately... but most decent SW aquarium stores can order in almost anything you're looking for.

Buying my own stuff has been a comedy of errors... XD

I do have to say... be careful buying used. Especially tanks- a used tank is much more likely to fail than a new one. Make sure the potential risk is outweighed by concrete savings.