Pond snails.

Fergy

I just discovered today that my red eared slider has some new tank mates... Not sure where they came from, probably the used gravel in the tank. Which is weird since I rinsed it thoroughly and it's been in the tank for months... But, anyways to the point. Does anybody know if snails with a turtle is a bad mix? I pick a couple of his shell today.. could that pose problems?

And I'm not positive if they're pond snails. The biggest ones are .5 cm at best, they have a transparent brown shell with a pattern like black veins on it? How would these snails do in a planted tank? Would they eat plants or just help with the cleanup crew? And are they fairly easy to control population-wise?

I have no experience with aquatic turtles but I'd assume that the snails were fine and wont' hurt the turtle. They will help with eating any leftover foods.

The thing with snails is they can multiply quickly if given the right conditions(excess food). So don't over feed and remove them when you see them. That should keep their population in check.

I don't claim to know anything about turtles, but can they get into the shell at all? That's all that I would worry about. Might irritate the turtle and no way to get the snails out once they get in there.

Tammy

No they can't get into/under the shell. They would be able to crawl around the leg area but you'd easily be able to remove them, that is if your turtle doesn't hide in its shell when you pick it up.