29G Community - Cycled with Danios, what next?

dredd0606

We just finished cycling our 29G planted tank at home with 4 zebra danios, and are looking at what fish to put in it now. My wife wants colorful, but not cichlids...she likes angels. We don't really care if we keep the danios, and my LFS said that they would take them back. Any ideas?

I was thinking tetras myself, or maybe fancy guppies, as they would make for nice looking fish for my 1 yr old son to watch.

- Dredd

There are hundreds of species you could keep in a tank this size. Just remember, you will have to add them slowly since 4 danios will not have built up a large enough colony of bacteria for you to stock it all at once. Also, if you go with a tetra species, make sure you buy a "school". Tetras or barbs would certainly look nice in a planted tank. If you buy male & female guppies, you will most likely end up with babies and more babies which eventually you will have to find a home for. You will probably want a small algae eater (ie a bristlenose pleco) and maybe a clean up crew - small school of corydoras.

There are hundreds of species you could keep in a tank this size. Just remember, you will have to add them slowly since 4 danios will not have built up a large enough colony of bacteria for you to stock it all at once. Also, if you go with a tetra species, make sure you buy a "school". Tetras or barbs would certainly look nice in a planted tank. If you buy male & female guppies, you will most likely end up with babies and more babies which eventually you will have to find a home for. You will probably want a small algae eater (ie a bristlenose pleco) and maybe a clean up crew - small school of corydoras.

Aside from cleaning up any uneaten food, what function would the corydoras have? I have no experience with this fish, so I don't really know what they could offer.

I was planning on going with a bristlenose pleco (maybe albino), and 2-3 Siamese Algae Eaters (I recently found some blackbeard algae in the tank, from one of the plants) for a CUC.

My wife was in at our LFS, and checked out the guppies, mollies and platys...we might run with guppies and platys. I would be wanting to run an all male tank, or have a fry predator of some kind as well. I really don't want to end up with a pile of guppies that I need to find homes for...

- Dredd

Cories are not "scavengers" - they are bottom feeders and can be very fun fish to watch. Most of them are easy to keep but you must have a school to witness their behaviour. Although siamese algae eaters are great for eliminating some kinds of algae, they do get large - 4" plus if they are fed well.

Cories are not "scavengers" - they are bottom feeders and can be very fun fish to watch. Most of them are easy to keep but you must have a school to witness their behaviour. Although siamese algae eaters are great for eliminating some kinds of algae, they do get large - 4" plus if they are fed well.

I recommend you look into the next spenser order, he has some nice fish on his list which inlcude tetra's, molly's etc...

I obtained some albino cory's from him and they are awesome! They are fast and just plain interesting to watch. He has several varieties of pleco's as well. Often times you can obtain better quality at a better price from Spenser or natures corner.

Congo tetras are nice, and obtain beautiful finage. I have found guppies to be hard keepers. Tetras are easier keepers for the beginner. Just my two sense. There are tons of varieties of tetras too.

Happy Shopping!

Ok, so we decided to go with 6 Neon Tetras (my wife thinks they are "pretty"). Strange thing was, when I put them in, the large dominant zebra danio decided he didn't like them, and was being extremely aggressive to them. After watching him chase them around and stress them out for about 45 mins, I decided to scoop the danios and take em back to my LFS. So now I have 6 Neons, and my wife has pretty much decided on a tetra tank.

Next is 6 Black Phantoms, then I think 6 Serpaes, and maybe 6 Black Neons. Including the Bristlenose Pleco, that will be 25 fish in a 29G planted tank, which is a lot, so I might cut the Black Neons. What do you guys think? Can this tank handle 25 fish?

My val and hygrophylia is growing like crazy, but my java fern hasn't really changed in the month and a half I have had it in...is this normal for Java Fern?

- Dredd