Anyone here see the Banff hot springs jewels?

roypark05

That may be, and it's probably for the best because we don't want them escaping into nearby waters and decimating the local trout populations as well. I think the damage has been done as far as the Cave and Basin marshes are concerned, the subspecies of Longnose Dace is extinct and those exotics can't get past the border of the springs heated water.

I have to admit, it'll be interesting to see these fish and I eagerly await the video. Not to mention it's a good study on the effects of introduced species (not that we didn't have an abundance of such cases before this). I guess this place will stay as a tourist attraction, funny to see how the gov't has capitalized on it with that sign too!

The water is pretty shallow too (at least near the blind), I doubt it would be deep enough for pike even if the water wasn't so hot...

The sign is definitely out of date though; it says the longnose dace is simply "rare and endangered". I guess in the 22 years since the fish was declared extinct they couldn't be bothered to get a new sign... : (

Well, I looked and looked, but I could only find two very short clips. I swear I had more but I guess they got deleted. Anyway, I tried to have some fun with the video instead, and since it'll be up on my YouTube page for others to see, I added in some "educational info". The actual clips begin around the one minute mark.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=W5z2cgfviKU&fmt=6

Thanks a lot for the replies everybody! I'm going there for a water treatment seminar in about a month. I promise to do my best to capture some good footage of the exotic species, with my main target being the jewel cichlids. I have kept jewel cichlids for years, and I find them a very interesting species to house in aquariums. I'm intrigued to see them in the wild like that.

If I get anything good I'll contact the Aquarium Club of Edmonton (which I'd like to join anyway). I don't need any funding or anything, as I'm fully funded already, to go to that seminar.

EDIT: I see there is supposed to be convict cichlids in there as well! I hope I get to see both them and the jewels!!!

Edited by roypark05