Anyone here see the Banff hot springs jewels?

roypark05

I am intensely intrigued by the idea of Jewel Cichlids (one of my fav cichlids) having actually been integrated into a wild habitat here in Canada! This is something I would have originally thought impossible.

In March I will be going to Banff to write an examination for water treatment, and if I have time I want to check them out, but I was hoping I could find a little bit of info on their exact location and whatnot first. Google searches have told me nothing.

Anyone know exactly where I could go to see the Banff Jewels?

The only area i'm aware of that has tropical fish in the wild around banff is the old banff hot springs they don't use as a pool any more. When you cross the bridge in banff to go to the hot springs turn left instead of right and you can go to the original springs. There is a museum there and if you walk out side up above the main building (there are steps and a board walk) you can see pools of water containing tropical fish people have dumped there. Its really to bad they have been killing off the wild fish which i believe are endangered and a snail i believe? take pictures please

The only area i'm aware of that has tropical fish in the wild around banff is the old banff hot springs they don't use as a pool any more. When you cross the bridge in banff to go to the hot springs turn left instead of right and you can go to the original springs. There is a museum there and if you walk out side up above the main building (there are steps and a board walk) you can see pools of water containing tropical fish people have dumped there. Its really to bad they have been killing off the wild fish which i believe are endangered and a snail i believe? take pictures please

There's supposed to be mollies too and I've always wanted to go!!

Yes the fishes (Jewels, Mollies)you talk about are there but the numbers have been reduced over the years. I was there recently and did observe the mollies but did not see any Jewels it appears that Mosquito fishes have taken over. Years ago I did photograph several pairs of Jewes just under the boardwalk as you enter the bird sanctuary viewing outpost. The area is very well monitored by security so don't bring a net as it is VERY taboo to do so. If you are going and would like to make an extra effort to film your adventure the Aquarium Club of Edmonton would be very interested. In the event that you are a member may even sponsor a portion of the cost. Interested please let me know

When I took a Bio course on Albertan animals, they listed mollies, jewels, angels and guppies as having populations in the cave & basin system. I'd guess there to be a few more as well.

I have photos and videos of the mollies. Some of them were gorgeously colored, almost like Golden Wonder Killies! I should probably put some of the video up on YouTube...

I don't have time tonight to get the video and photos up but I will aim to do it tomorrow or Friday after work. : )

I'm just putting together the movie clips so I'll post that shortly. They're brief but still cool.

To tide everyone over, here are some photos.

This is the informative sign down near the blind.

banff1.jpg

Regarding the sailfin mollies, the sign says that they were originally all black when they were first released in the springs, but have since developed into checkered and marble colors, with "occasional" golden color. However, when I was there, nearly ALL of the mollies were golden in color, with very few black/checkered/marbled. Given the color of the mosses and muck in the spring I can't help but think the golden is prevailing now because those fish are harder to see.

banff2.jpg

And here's a real looker. : ) This is the one that looks like a killi to me. It's hard to see but his dorsal is mostly "on edge" in this shot so it also makes him look like he might be a mosquito fish, but I'm pretty sure it is a molly--one of the clips is this fish trying to cozy-up to a girl and you get to see his big sail.

banff3.jpg

Edited by Shai

We had a thread concerning some of this going soon after I joined the forum:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showt...t=0&start=0

Personally, I think someone should introduce some pike to the marshes to annihilate those exotic species.

I don't think that the pike would be able to live in that water for very long, much too hot for them.