Wild Mbuna...

Gnaw

I figured I'd post this question here on the forums as I don't have have the luxury of time needed to actually research this.

Why are wild Mbuna (or any fish for that matter) so sought after?

I'm only asking now because recently I passed on an offer to buy some wild Labeotropheus trewavasae.

I am not sure 100% some people just want wilds for the differences between domestic and wild fish. I got a wild oscar because of the look of them.

I think I know what you mean. I was looking at pictures of the wild specimens and I was comparing them to the captive ones, The coloration/pattern of the wild one where more pleasing to the eye.

I agree, but to non-breeders (ie just collectors like me) it's mostly just cool to say you have wild caught fish. I have 1 or 2 and when I tell my freinds or family that the fish was actually caught in Africa, they think thats pretty special, as do I.

Be careful though, and get your WC fish from a reputable dealer who can explain exactly how they get their WC fish.

It would be pretty easy to say a fish or group is WC and charge double when in fact the fish are not WC.

I have seen "WC" fish for sale that I highly doubt were anything but tank bred and raised. Of coarse there is no way to tell.

Boom :boom: