Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Crystal

Do you like MTS in your tanks?

I know they can "overrun" a tank. Though in my 10g, which previously was a quarantine, all snails die - I assume its the copper that leaches from the silicone...

IMO I figure the leftover food either rots or gets eaten. Also, they seem to eat some algae and aerate sand. Better cleanup crew than my plecos or shrimp.

I consider them moving decorations. :rolleyes:

I recently got some MTS from various places and I noticed they had different coloration patterns. I didn't know they came in different colors/patterns... :huh:

I have a solid blueish grey with no pattern; a solid brown with darker patterning; a white with brown on largest swirl, the brown part also has a darker brown patterning; and I used to have a solid white color but they died.

Are there any other coloration patterns out there? I am curious just how many variations there are...

MTS.jpg

Is that what those snails are called....I have noticed over the last 2 days these all over my tank. Can they hijack a way in on fish. If I get too many...they will be up for grabs. So far I have seen 8 in my 45 gal about 1.5 in long. All brown and white.

I have allot of different variants of these snails. I also have hundreds of them in my various tanks. The key I find is a large group of clown loaches, once a month I do a purge on all my tanks of the snails and throw them into the tank with the loaches. Amazingly the next month I have allot more to deal with. They are great cleaners of the sand substrate I use.

Mark