Platy tetra behavior obesevation

Hooked_on_fish

This is called flashing. It's usually done in an effort to displace an irritation (often from an external parasite). Have a close look at your fish- have they got any spots or bumps? With all of them flashing, you might have an outbreak of ich or something.

I have looked quite closly but have not seen any spot, legions or groths. Although i have never seen ich so i could be lookin at it without knowing. They appear to be healthy and active with good appetites. Does any one have pictures of or know a link to pictures of ick.

(I tend to feed them before i go to bed and stare into my tank for 20 -30 mins.) they say im going crazy. LOL

It could be Ich or gill flukes. Consider raising the temperature about 5 degrees and treat with non-iodized salt (aquarium salt) for about a 4 weeks. If the behavior persists after such time then it is likely gill flukes and they should be treated with an appropriate medication. If you want my recommendation for the dosage of salt, let me know.

Well it has been bout 2 weeks since we finished treating for ich with medication. As well we raised the tank temp from 78ish to 82ish when we started treatment. THey are not flashing as much but occasionally i have obsevered it. Should we i try more medication for the ich in case it didnt fully cure the first time around. Or is it safe to assume that the issue is not ich?

Endugo if you have reliable information source on "gill fulkes" i would appreciate any info you could forward. As i am not formiliar with it. (still learning)

Endugo if you have reliable information source on "gill fulkes" i would appreciate any info you could forward. As i am not formiliar with it. (still learning)

I don't have an online source for you, but search Monogenetic or Monogenea flukes such as Gyrodactylus.

Edited by Endugu