Angel breeding

AndyL

I'm really surprised... I used to get some real odd looks when I mentioned I liked angelfish - when did it become all the rage?

I figure we need a thread - since my inbox is getting full from people asking questions about breeding angels. (there are 5 of you - you know who you are).

Anywho, most common questions, yes I only use city tap water. Hatchout is fine, these aren't discus - no major issues with hatchouts in calgary "hard" water.

In a "community" type setting, yes, in fact you will probably have caviar - not fry. There are too many opportunistic fish (including favorites like plecos, and corys) if you want to raise some, really you are going to need a bare bottom, 20g (or so - some use 10-33s), The angels take a bit of time to adapt - especially coming from planted tanks - but they will adjust.

And this is what I came home to tonight This pair is driving me nuts - they eat the fry at the drop of a hat, fish in a neighbouring tank looks in... They eat the fish (note the boxes/bags stuffed between) I do a W/C - they eat the fry... I look at the tank funny - they eat the fry. Pondering pulling these eggs to artificially hatch them - this is getting crazy :)

Andy

post-35-1111556012

Want to talk stupid angels? I had a lesbo pair for over a year now, or atleast I thought, wrong. They are fertile this time. Both of them at one time or another had paired up with an old male of mine, not sure how but I always got a spawn, truthfully enough, I had no envision of raising the fry so I never payed them much attention, The males tuber always looked too big and round to be a male. In general I am not a big fan of angels but their popularity is astounding and they should almost have a spot of their own on here. I still feel that seldom do people know the aggressive behaviour of these fish and how far from angels they really are rather than making those impulse newbie buys and finding out. Furthermore, I was wondering if anyone else here found better success rates in raising fry by pulling the male shortly after spawn? I find in all of my pairings that the males turn on the nest around the first day of free swimming. One of my males is well over 4 years old and this one now that is now apparently a male was a fry of mine and is around 2 1/2 years. I am wondering if it could be just immaturity although I feel it shouldn't be. Another pair that I use to have spawned for 2 years in and out of breeding tanks, yet it wasn't until I pulled the male that I ended up with juvies from them. I also wondered if maybe it was just the pairs and if pulling the female would have been just as acceptable.

I say open an angelfish column and let it rock!!! Maybe we can solve the mystery of why angels only love to spawn on filter intakes that are running and heaters that are hot, yet dummy intake tubes and dummy heaters cause glass spawns.

In my tanks it seems to be the females more than the males doing the eating - probably depends on the individual fish.

I'd agree most people have no clue who agressive these fish get - put some guppy fry in the tank and you'll have no doubts :)

Of my 2 current producing pairs, I've got one that wants nothing to do with anything but the sponge filter uplift tube (pvc) the other pair likes the silicone in the corner :bang1:

In the pairing tank, my lesbo orgies (5 females at the moment) have chosen the uplift tubes also - and wont let a male anywhere near!

Andy