Disease outbreak in my 55g :(

Ekim81

Looks like I've got some type of disease outbreak in my 55g. A couple weeks ago I picked up a pair of blue rams from Big Al's and everything seemed fine. Last week I noticed the female blue ram was having problems breathing and she died a short time later. Two days ago I noticed my female gold ram, which I've had for a while, seemed to have the same symptoms, very inactive, having problems breathing ect., but everyone else in the tank seems fine (6 dwarf neon rainbows, 10 glowlite tetras, 6 khulis, a BN pleco, a male gold ram, a female blue ram and 3 apistos, oh and some algae shrimp). I did a 30% water change (as I do every week), checked water params (everything is where it always is) and figured I'd keep an eye on things. I come home from work today and DISASTER! My female gold ram that was looking sickly yesterday is dead, and all three of my apistos are dead!! :( Now my male gold ram looks not too good. The strange thing is though, that everyone else in the tank is completely normal. No sign of any illness in anyone other than the ram. So what is going on? Did my blue rams from Big Al's have some kind of disease thats only affecting the other cichlids in the tank? I changed some more water out, and I've bumped my temp up a bit (82), as well as turned on my UV sterilizer in the hopes of killing off whatever is ravaging my tank.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Ooooohhhh S#$%T

Sorry to hear this, I hope it stops right there. Could be just about anything and without more information like microscopic slides an other symptoms this might be very hard to figger out.

Lets hope it is cichlid specific.

John

• 3 weeks later...

The rams could have brought in something. SA Dwarf Cichlids are as a whole sensitive fish, especially when being raised in Alberta water. These little guys struggle with osmosis in our hard water. If the rams brought in a gill fluke (parasite) it would most certainly spread quickly to the other cichlids. Combining their natural inability to effectively osmo-regulate in hard water and be harboring gill flukes, you'll see and experience exactly what is happening in your tank.

Another thing to consider is that our city water supply is probably being filled with additives to combat parasites born from spring thaw and run-off. Additives that could have harmed the sensitive cichlids.