cryptocoryne wendtii propagation rhizome

fleshgear

will cryptocoryne wendtii grow from the roots? i just got some crypts from the auction and some of the thick 1/4 inch main roots broke off . if i replant this root will it grow a new plant? the roots are at least 2 inches or longer? i was trying to read about the plant, does it have rhizomes? they are undergravel and that is where the runners come from? it came in one big bunch. once i seperated them there was at least 50 plants or more. and a huge root system that kind of broke off it is about 4 inches in diameter and two inches thick with lots of rhizomes at least i think that is what they are. it looks like it was potted plant.

not entirely sure. But when i had them, they would send off little runners with miniature crypt plants virtually hugging the mother plant. If you see little plantlets you can separate them, but don't know about the root.

not entirely sure. But when i had them, they would send off little runners with miniature crypt plants virtually hugging the mother plant. If you see little plantlets you can separate them, but don't know about the root.

Thats essentially how I've seen them propagate. none that I've ever seen have rhizomes per say or what I might consider to be rhizomes, but thats not to say im correct.

But I do know that with all plants, removing all but a few inches of root seems to be the best means of stimulating growth upon re-planting

They do have rhizomes. It's often not very thick, but is a bit easier to see in large specimens. Is it just the leaves that broke off the rhizome, or is the rhizome broken in half?

You should be able to replant them and have them grow if it's just the leaves missing. The leaves on the rest of the plants may melt off with the move anyhow. If the rhizome itself is broken, it may or may not grow back- probably depends on how much is left. 1/4" thick sounds like a fairly healthy plant, so you may have a chance.

the upper part of the plant is good with at least 4" of the main root. But the roots were probably at least 12" long, and I don't mean the small white roots, I am not counting those ones. I am talking about the 1/4" thick roots. I will take a picture when I get home and post it.

I have gotten crypts sent in the mail before and it is pretty much just 2" of the main root with no other smaller roots on it and they grow.

I did plant the roots in one big bunch, pretty much the way they came I. Just seperated the plants from the roots. That sounds worse than it is. I guess I will see what happens

That is what I figured. So which part is the rhizome? The little bumps or the while root it self. Is the root simaller to a stem plant? Cut it and a new plant will grow? Or will a new plant only come from the little bumps?

• 3 weeks later...