Energy Savings Ideas

So I'm sure I'm not the only one that has larger than average utility bills. So I started thinking, perhaps turning down the heat when we're not home is not helping.

I figure that electricity is four times the cost of natural gas for the same energy (KW converted to GJ). I also figure that it would take less energy to keep the house warm (since it is insulated) than to keep 6? tanks 78 F when the room temp is 60F (14C). I think I'm on the right track, with this thinking but I guess I'll find out.

I've also read that air pumps really cool down the water since they constantly pump cool air through.

I guess my question is, has anyone else found things that make a difference in energy savings (other than insulating the entire tank)?

Edited by digital-monk

I honestly think you could shut the power off in your house and the electrical companies would still charge you an arm and a leg.

My Dad used to leave the house all winter to go logging. No one home, no computer, no lights, no fish tanks, most electronics unplugged - basically just the fridge and freezer.

The bill was pretty much the same as when he was home all the time.

I honestly think you could shut the power off in your house and the electrical companies would still charge you an arm and a leg.

My Dad used to leave the house all winter to go logging. No one home, no computer, no lights, no fish tanks, most electronics unplugged - basically just the fridge and freezer.

The bill was pretty much the same as when he was home all the time.

This is mainly because the companies do two kinds of readings: estimates and actuals. You have to schedule actual reads otherwise they just estimate most of the time. I have had them do the actuals a few times when I knew that our usage was down a fair bit and it did make a huge difference on our bill, nearly half.

When we installed all compact flourescent lights in our house our bill dropped by about $15 -$20 a month but then started to creep back up until I had them do an actual reading.

Experiences will differ though I am certain.