Small tank, small light, small plant

bozco

Hey, my neighbour just bought herself a little 2 gal hex tank and a betta. She had some wisteria in it, but thats not growing too well.

She's not able to maintain a large tank, and she wants this little one to be as little trouble as possible due to health issues.

She would like a small plant, that will grow well without much fuss, no fertilzer or water testing, and her light is a little 4 watt incandecent thing. Any suggestions? I promised to take her shopping this week , would like some advice before we go.

Ok, that is what I was leaning towards, I just wasnt sure about the light requirements.

Now, if she was to go with a java fern would it be better to get a small bit of driftwood or would tying it to a rock be alright? I've only ever grown it on wood before.

Oh and I forgot to mention its unheated. But that wouldn't be a problem for java fern would it?

I think java fern would probably grow in the dark! :lol:

You could tie it to a rock or something, due to space issues I just leave mine floating in the tank wherever. The bettas love it.

I'm not sure if the temp will pose a problem but I think anubias sp. would be another option. When I've seen java fern for sale it has always seemed a little expensive to me. E.g. at Petland on McLeod Tr. they're selling one leaf for $18!

On Monday Pisces had anubias on sale for 2.99. a couple of those would look great tied to a small piece of driftwood. Plus they stay small enough to be fine in a 2g.

Hey, I just got home from pisces, she decided on a small anubias and another small potted plant I don't recall the name of, but the tag said low light and the temperature range was right so she's trying that out. I planted it all for her and its looking pretty good. Thanks for the help, and yeah, the anubias were on sale. They were kind of picked over, but we found a nice looking young one. She's all set in the plant department now.