Substrate

Michael Roth

so. Is there anything stopping me from using the same sand that I use for my freshwater tanks in my sw setup? It was sterile playsand from home depot.

I would hate to kill anything because of a stupid error.

Loonie is for scale.

Edited by Michael Roth

I've used the same stuff a bunch of times. Once I had a pretty nasty outbreak of Brown algae at first, much more than usual. I think it may have been caused by extra silica from the sand but I could be wrong.

Albert is right it won't add any extra calcium to the water but if you are using local tap water rather than RO you won't need to worry unless you have a whole bunch of stony corals or something.

Other than lookin a little fugly for a sw setup (sorry had to say it :P) it should be fine

Theres alot of dissent whether aragonite actually does contribute calcium or stability to a saltwater system, because it doesnt actually dissolve until a much lower ph than anything in a sw tank is likely to survive.

Quite a few people go without any substrate and dont seem to miss it. Silica would provide a good area for bacterial growth though.