Substrate for Dummies?

Paradisius

LOL, ok, now I can honestly say that the internet is chock full of do's n don't's of the aquarium substrate set-up. I wouldn't say that I am a newb, but the last planted tank was a 90 amazon set-up. The substrate at that time was a mix, 1/3 flourite 2/3 gravel. It worked, but was super-messy to deal with the red clouding of the water. For the life of that tank, plants did indeed thrive. Missed the tank after breaking it down.

It's been awhile now, and have decided to set-up a freshwater low-light plantd aquarium in my custom 70 cube, dimensions 2ftx2ftx3ft. I'm no dummie but wish to set up the subsrtrate to the best of my abilites. Potting soils are a 50/50 thing in the planted aquarium world so that leaves much discussion. Vermiculite highly reccomended with an addition of garden topsoil, topped with the sand method for a natural approach.

Wow, and than we have flourite, sand gravel, sand-flourite-sand... etc. I'm sitting here thinking why can't I place 1-2 inches of play sand on the bottom of the tank, layer in some bagged potting mix, one bag of red flourite, compacting that a little (not alot), and topping the rest of the layers with the remaining playsand. no gravel but some loose rocks I have left over from past tanks. Of course a little driftwood in there as well. Lighting I am not overly concerned with, as we have several strips kiicking around from past tanks and the tank sits in a nice corner exposed to a gentle calm of the sun thru sheers. Never an algae outbreak yet.

Any tried and true methods would be greatly appreciated and noted before I add all the wrong substrates with the water:

playsand

flourite

Potting soil/mix?

playsand

misc. rocks and driftwood

Not overly concerned with any cloudiness and break-in periods. Having saltwater yields a certian amount of patience. Realizing that slow is good, and one fiish per month is more than I usually do. Just wish to get the substrate up n running, add a little water to compact it, pick up some driftwood, add more water, and let run 1/2 full for about a month before adding any plants... and water.

Any guru's out there wanna help me out? Throw a bone.... tanks.

Love the title as I'm the original "dummie" girl. IMHO, 1/3 gravel, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 flourite is my preferred "mix." I use some water clarifier to settle the dust quickly too. I do use established filters when I start a new tank to help get it going sooner. Please keep in mind, I'm a technophobe!!!!

You little technophobe, LOL. Thanks for the reply. Substrate set-ups is an overwhelming area. I am leaning toward the natural approach which utilizes vermiculite/garden topsoil as the base topped with sand. I still like the flourite/sand technique so still kind out of the box on the decision. I too, always use older exteranal filter cannisters from established tanks to start the cycle. Therefore, reducing the cyle time. This actually was a running FW tank until last night when it was emptied so that the substrate my be placed in on the weekend. The external cannister is still hooked up and all hardware connected... just looking for the right substrate. Cloudiness won't be an issue as at least a month will pass before adding plants and starter fish. One layer, one step at a time is my method.

If all else fails, try again... but that gets ezpensif after awhile.

Peace out l'il sis.

I think it all depends on the looks you are going for. If you prefer the sandy substrate I say go for the garden soil and fluorite with the sand. Unless you want a black sand, you can either do that with black silica or moon sand, or try the fluorite black sand. I use 50/50 fluorite and small gravel, fluorite sand, eco complete as substrates. Either way if using sand you will probably want to use something under it, I find plants dont grow that well in just regular sand alone.

LOL, tanks for the heads-up boyz n gurls. I like the sound of Firestorms idea. Mind you it's one extra item, but it looks like a well combined "natural" approach. I figure base: a little sand, roughly 2 inches. Top with garden topsoil blended with flourite (darn good nutrient base) allowing deep-roots. Finally topped with a good laya of sand for the runners and grasses.

One might think it might be a tad muddy, but alas, the sand on top would hold sufficiently. In lieu of any cloudiness, add water to top the layers, wait a week, add more goodies. Hmmmm, more driftwood... and to think I gve it all away. Yeesh, now I feel like a dummie.

Am thinkin, with all the advice on the net, maybe the moderators might add a "substrate that works" section to only include what peeps are currently running. Header "flourite/gravel combo" as an idea. I noticed a huge post prior to this one about substrate, but honestly didn't answer any relative quest. This section would cut back double posts and really benefit all aqaurists wishing to discover the beauty of planted and perhaps with the combined knowlegde, help some old ponies learn a new trick or two.

I'll check back, but have decided to go with Firestorms idea ... thank you. Long term benefit is the nutrient table won't have to be replaced all that much.... much like a riverbed/pond.

I'll pony up the cam and step by step put together something to share here...

I would be careful with vermiculite as I think it will float to the top of the tank if given a chance.

Okie Dokie, nixay on the vermiculite... good point. Floaties aren`t totally welcome. So, now that the base layer is in, off to keeping it simple... red florite, if in stock, topped with more sand... simple usualy pays off. Thanks for the heads up. Originally it was said to crush the vermiculite into a dust form, and than mix into the soil, topping that off with the sand. Sounds pretty messy when you want to move the tank, lol.

Cheers.

considering vermiculite is like a foam it will float up if given the chance. I probably wouldn't even bother with the stuff, it might be more of a hassle than anything.....I say keep it as simple as you can. If you use fluorite and dose the water column with ferts I think they should be getting enough nutrients that way.