Play sand and ???

chloeclose

So I have decided to go with play sand as a substrate.

What do you recommend I put with it? Layer of laterite underneath? Profile mixed? What is profile and where can I get it? What does it look like?

Also is there any other kind of cheap, inert sand that is darker? Where would I find it?

Went looking for Schultz's aquatic soil yesterday didn' t find any.

I'm going for a upper region SA biotope-y type tank with rams (if I ever find any) and cories.

I *do * like the CaribSea Supernatural stuff, specifically Amazon and Peace River, looks like nice rounded gravel. Price not *too* bad. I definitely do *not* want anything that hardens my water at all.

Another person on the board had mentioned using a Profile/sand/peat mix for this type of set-up. Any opinions?

Also I'm concerned with layering... in the past I've had issues of bottom layers, mixing in with tops. :tongue:

Thanks!

So I have decided to go with play sand as a substrate.

What do you recommend I put with it? Layer of laterite underneath? Profile mixed? What is profile and where can I get it? What does it look like?

Also is there any other kind of cheap, inert sand that is darker? Where would I find it?

Went looking for Schultz's aquatic soil yesterday didn' t find any.

I'm going for a upper region SA biotope-y type tank with rams (if I ever find any) and cories.

I *do * like the CaribSea Supernatural stuff, specifically Amazon and Peace River, looks like nice rounded gravel. Price not *too* bad. I definitely do *not* want anything that hardens my water at all.

Another person on the board had mentioned using a Profile/sand/peat mix for this type of set-up. Any opinions?

Also I'm concerned with layering... in the past I've had issues of bottom layers, mixing in with tops. :tongue:

Thanks!

I have a deep sand bed in my tank (2" at the front, 6" at the back) and all I have used is playsand. I started my swords and crypts with a root fertilizer (Jobe's from Walmart) I decided against using any peat or mulm layer because I didn't want the hassle. What I have found is that in time, the plants tended to collect organic material around the roots. From my experience, I wonder if it is really necessary in the long run. (I also use estimative index and pressurized CO2) I am very happy with the plant growth I have had.

So what would I layer with it? Nothing. IMHO. Just add some root tabs or sticks, especially to start out with.

I hear that you can go to a place that sells sandblasting medias and get some different colors. If you wanted to get some smaller round pebbles, see what you can get from Burnco in a 1/2" or smaller rainbow rock or something like that. Just stay away from your limestones and crushed rock.

I don't know how fast a rock or substrate could change your hardness. Obviously if you pH is low (acidic) you will speed up that process, but I think that you can keep it under control with regular water changes. Maybe someone else can comment authoritatively on that.

Hope that helps...

I have a deep sand bed in my tank (2" at the front, 6" at the back) and all I have used is playsand. I started my swords and crypts with a root fertilizer (Jobe's from Walmart) I decided against using any peat or mulm layer because I didn't want the hassle. What I have found is that in time, the plants tended to collect organic material around the roots. From my experience, I wonder if it is really necessary in the long run. (I also use estimative index and pressurized CO2) I am very happy with the plant growth I have had.

So what would I layer with it? Nothing. IMHO. Just add some root tabs or sticks, especially to start out with.

I hear that you can go to a place that sells sandblasting medias and get some different colors. If you wanted to get some smaller round pebbles, see what you can get from Burnco in a 1/2" or smaller rainbow rock or something like that. Just stay away from your limestones and crushed rock.

I don't know how fast a rock or substrate could change your hardness. Obviously if you pH is low (acidic) you will speed up that process, but I think that you can keep it under control with regular water changes. Maybe someone else can comment authoritatively on that.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the super fast reply!! :thumbs: Yes it helps. :)

Guess where I am going today? Burnco heh. Think I will bring some vinegar along just in case.

Thanks for the tips. :)

I've finally made the decision to go with Mohawk Garnet 16-24 (crushed garnet blasting grit, mixed with Fluorite Black Sand.

The Mohawk Garnet looks like this:

MohawkGarnet16-24.jpg

So the actual mix will be blacker, good for the plants AND the fish will be happy! :thumbs:

If you want a bag of Shultzes i got mine at Rona - The one in Namao Centre, not sure if they have any left.

Also I have a spare unopened bag myself as well if you want to have a go - $8.

Also Profile i was looking for couldn't find any. =/ .

Anyways hope you're happy with the choice.