10g ideas

Raven

Once i get my snake it'll be in the 10g. But come time for the fall auction look out! I am so going to get back into fish. All i need for this to happen is a new tank for the snake, and maybe Greg too. then all new equipment, ok not new, but new to me, haha. Oh, and this figuring out what to put in the tank. I miss cichlids but im pretty sure the only things you could put in a 10 is dwarfs which is a catagory im not familiar with. sooo, i need help.

There are many fish you can put in a 10 gallon. Guppies will do well (beware of the breeding lol) A nice school of small tetras, rasboras, barbs, minnows all make good fish, and for tankmates you can choose fish like pygmy cories, bumblebee gobies, shrimp, dwarf plecos. Or if you really want cichlids try a tanganyikan shell dweller. The lamprologus multis are good in little colonies, or a small group of the Lamp ocellatus, or brevis. Or you can do a dwarf puffer tank, or set it up for a killi fish tank. You have many options, just choose which ones you feel you like best.

Edited by firestorm

• 2 weeks later...

Just did some looking up on the killifish, cories and gobies. Don't really like cories. I remember had ghost or albino cories before they just died on me. I really like the killifish. And I would love a dwarf pleco again. And the gobies look cool. Read that if you put in a few female guppies that they'd find their own food. Does that mean that they eat the fry? How many could you fit in one tank?

Don't believe everything you read, eventually the guppies would run out of food, I am sure they can find their own food in the wild though lol. Problem with guppies is they're so typical and breed like rabbits. Unless you go with an all male tank you will have so many guppies in no time. Killi fish make great fish for small tanks, I love them. You have to be careful with them though because some species are only annuals and don't live very long.

Read that too. They come from flood plains and the like. Which ones are not the annuals? I want to try and get the most colorful ones cause they are gorgeous!

Read that too. They come from flood plains and the like. Which ones are not the annuals? I want to try and get the most colorful ones cause they are gorgeous!

A natural habitat for this kind of fish ( apistogramma cacatuoides ) there are many types of Apistos that are very colorful and require a small amount of space...

You could set it up with some wood and plants and a few small caves... these setups look awsome....

That sounds like fun. Did some reading. Would they breed in there? Not a bad idea... ' Babe the fish is going to have babies we need another tank ' hehe. From what i've seen there mostly yellow... Yellow is over rated :P

Did a more specific search. They are mostly red? Some called tripple or double red then there was a half orange. Saw some that were purple but I'm not sure they were the same. Could you explain the differences please?

There are several types of apisto cactoids... single red usually indicates that the dorsal fin is reddish... double and triple just meens that more fins on the body are also red.... up to all and that would be quads..

There is a variety called orange flash that is orange obviously..

Check with gleen on this forum he was selling some fry recently if your interested.. there may be others with some apisto fry as well.

Good luck

Will have to wait till the snake out grows the tank. For now I'm just doing the research. Which reminds me of another thing. I read that they can be kept in hard hard, then some where else in soft. Which one is it?