Potasium Nitrate

Ruadh

I'm having trouble finding Potasium Nitrate in a larger quantity.

I've obtained it previously from Four Seasons off Whyte Ave. but I'd like to get a larger quantity.

Those 2 kg buckets are expensive enough from there, I'd hate to see what 25 lbs would be.

I use 4-6 TBS a week in a 175 gl tank and it doesn't take long to use up a little bucket.

This is why I'd like to get a 50 lb bag, but apparently, according to Apachie Seeds, it can't be got.

Now the question:

Is there another source of nitrate ferts, in Edmonton, for our tanks?

Quick Grow (in Calgary) has 25kg for $58. Not sure what prices there are like?

Thankx Werner

And you have no trouble getting it?

Apachie Seeds here says they can't even buy it and I can't find it any where else either.

They all claim it's a restricted chemical because you can make a bomb with it, even though that's one of the other potassium ferts.

I haven't tried to get that quantity- I just buy the little ones. I'm running low on potassium sulfate so I'll be heading in there soon- can check it out if you want.

I appreciate it Werner, thankx, but if I buy in Calgary it would cost me too much for transport, being DG and all.

Rick

I was at the local fertilizer dealer to pick up a load (22,000 lbs) of Nitrogen which is 46-0-0 (Carbonyldiamide, CH4N2O, or urea). We used to be able to buy 37-0-0 Nitrogen (KNO3) in bulk, but due to anti-terrorism laws, they can not even bring in a 50 pound bag for me either. I will try 2 other chemical places as I would like to buy a bag of KNO3 also.

I was at the local fertilizer dealer to pick up a load (22,000 lbs) of Nitrogen which is 46-0-0 (Carbonyldiamide, CH4N2O, or urea). We used to be able to buy 37-0-0 Nitrogen (KNO3) in bulk, but due to anti-terrorism laws, they can not even bring in a 50 pound bag for me either. I will try 2 other chemical places as I would like to buy a bag of KNO3 also.

Doesn't it just frost ya right off????

I ended up buying a bag at 'All Seasons' here in Edmonton.

I understand the caution but Jeez! come on! Anyone who wants to build a bomb wouldn't use KNO3 in the first place and wouldn't buy small quantities either.

Are we going to be held hostage forever??

It's not just that they think you will be making bombs out of it. KNO3 is an explosive material and you need a special liscence to transport larger quantities. Which is probably why most places don't sell very large amounts at a time. And I hope if you are buying bulk like that, that you are keeping it outside in your shed or garage and not in your house. Have you ever checked any garden centers for the stuff? I myself go to quikgrow here in Calgary, but have never bought that large of a quantity.

It's not just that they think you will be making bombs out of it. KNO3 is an explosive material and you need a special liscence to transport larger quantities. Which is probably why most places don't sell very large amounts at a time. And I hope if you are buying bulk like that, that you are keeping it outside in your shed or garage and not in your house. Have you ever checked any garden centers for the stuff? I myself go to quikgrow here in Calgary, but have never bought that large of a quantity.

KNO3 is not an explosive material, it is an Oxidant (will accellerate a flame). The common name is Salt Peter and can be bought at a drug store. I am a farmer and we used to buy this material by the semi truck load. KNO3 only becomes explosive when mixed with another common liquid and even then it will only burn when subject to a flame. To make a boom, it has to be ignited by an explosion (dynamite or blasting cap).

It is amazing all the places KNO3 is used:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

"Potassium nitrate is also used as a fertilizer, in amateur rocket propellant, and in several fireworks such as smoke bombs.

In the process of food preservation, potassium nitrate has been a common ingredient of salted meat since the Middle Ages,[6] but its use has been mostly discontinued due to inconsistent results compared to more modern nitrate and nitrite compounds. Even so, saltpeter is still used in some food applications, such as charcuterie and the brine used to make corned beef.[7] Sodium nitrate (and nitrite) have mostly supplanted saltpeter's culinary usage, as they are more reliable in preventing bacterial infection than saltpeter. All three give cured salami and corned beef their characteristic pink hue.

In the European Union, it is referred to as E252.

It is commonly used in manufactured cigarettes to maintain an even burn of the tobacco.[8]

As a fertilizer, it is used as a source of nitrogen and potassium, two of the macro nutrients for plants. The other macro nutrients are carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen.

Potassium nitrate is also the main component (usually about 98%) of tree stump remover; it accelerates the natural decomposition of the stump.[9]

Potassium nitrate is also commonly used in the heat treatment of metals as a solvent in the post-wash. The oxidizing, water solubility and low cost make it an ideal short-term rust inhibitor.

It has also been used in the manufacture of ice cream and can be found in some toothpastes for sensitive teeth.[10] Recently, the use of potassium nitrate in toothpastes for treating sensitive teeth has increased dramatically, despite the fact that it has not been conclusively shown to help dentine hypersensitivity.[11]

Potassium nitrate is also one of the three components of black powder, along with powdered charcoal (substantially carbon) and sulfur, where it acts as an oxidizer. When subjected to the flame test it produces a lilac flame due to the presence of potassium. [12]"

Everybody uses it... but we can't buy it???

The common name is Salt Peter and can be bought at a drug store.

When I was first experimenting with PMDD (the ferts, not the disorder), I went looking for KNO3 at drugstores. Nothing. Stump remover was hard to find too. Most garden centers weren't carrying it because of the boom issue.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

If you don't mind buying a bunch of ferts, this place has some good prices. Shipping is a bit expensive but doesn't increase much with each additional bag. Most bags are one pound ...of a PURE compound. Mixes are available. I guess you are looking for more than one pound though...

Edited by Hamburger

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/

If you don't mind buying a bunch of ferts, this place has some good prices. Shipping is a bit expensive but doesn't increase much with each additional bag. Most bags are one pound ...of a PURE compound. Mixes are available. I guess you are looking for more than one pound though...

Ya, the shipping would kill it, but thankx anyway.

Up there in Ft. McMoney I guess you have even less choice than I down here huh?