Boiled bettas...

Shai

Naturally, this would happen in the tank holding the fish that aren't mine, but actually belong to my friend who is currently in China teaching. x.x

Came home from work today to find that not only had Bloo gotten over the divider and beat up Red pretty badly, but the heater on that side of the divider had cracked open. The tank was about 85 degrees or so.

Bloo looks like a champ. Not a scratch, still swimming around smugly like "he's the fish".

Poor Red is pretty torn up and jittery. I'm wondering if the heater busted first and Red got something of a shock (but not Bloo?) and then Bloo got over and pwned him.

I bought a new heater, let the tank cool down, and changed the water. I added some Bettafix as well for the torn fins.

I've never had a heater malfunction in a tank though. The innards of the heater were exposed to the tank for who knows how long so I'm really surprised both fish are still alive. I know others here have had their fish electrocuted before... Am I just seriously lucky or is the worst yet to come?

Advice really appreciated. My friend might send the Chinese after me if Red goes to fishy heaven. >.>

Just keep an eye on them, sounds like bad luck with the one jumping over at the same time as the heater exploding.

Betta's repair fins pretty well... you've done all you can now its just wait to see if any baterial infection arises from the tail nips...but more likely it won't

Betta's are pretty tough cookies!! :thumbs:

Glad everyone is okay!

Everybody seems to be doing okay. Came home to new bubble nests. : )