lava rock

Ted

Hello all

We picked up some lava rock that has interesting holes in it, intending to use it with mixed africans (2 - 5 ") as caves and hiding spaces in the 65. It has some very sharp edges and surfaces. Is it still alright to use? It would be impossible to remove all the sharp edges as some of the faces of the rocks themselves are just full of "bubbles" of which each edge is sharp. Our 2 biggest guys are now flashing against the rocks as they are trying to play king of the tank.

Thanks

Theresa

I also experienced more scrapes and eye damage when I had lava rocks in the tank. The fish would damage themselves when they were chasing each other, or if they got scared and ran into the rocks by accident.

I personally wouldn't use lava rocks again, atleast not in large quantities.

Thanks everyone - you have confirmed my suspicions. I will keep the lava rock and use it in a future planted tank with small fish.

Theresa

I use mexican lace rock that isnt as sharped edged as lava rock and it has lots of holes etc... and looks great