Angelfish Suicide?

TanisD

Ok so the other day I picked up a male and female wild scalare angelfish. A few days later the male killed himself by ramming himself into some driftwood so I got another replacement male. Then the female did the same thing as the first male so I was stuck with just the male. And this is quite strange but the mollys in the tank beat the second male to death and these angels weren't little angels they were quite big. Does anyone have any idea what happened here because I am very confused and now out a big chunk of cash.

Is the tank in a high traffic area? Could be why they would smash into something that hard. Although I had a clients silver dollar knock himself out and still survive, and he really smashed the glass hard. What were the mollies doing, nipping at him? Angels should be compatible with mollies, maybe he was sick and that's why they were picking on him. I don't see how an angel can kill themselves by hitting a piece of wood though, I think there might be more to it than we suspect.

Is the tank in a high traffic area? Could be why they would smash into something that hard. Although I had a clients silver dollar knock himself out and still survive, and he really smashed the glass hard. What were the mollies doing, nipping at him? Angels should be compatible with mollies, maybe he was sick and that's why they were picking on him. I don't see how an angel can kill themselves by hitting a piece of wood though, I think there might be more to it than we suspect.

It is in a high traffic area but they didn't seem to be bothered by any of the movement. The mollies were biting him and I removed him as soon as I saw it but it was too late and he died shortly after. Ya I'm really not sure how running into driftwood could kill them if it happens it usually just knocks them out for a bit but they come back right away. Do you think it could be some sort of parasites?

Edited by TanisD

Sometimes fish will bump up against objects or shimmy if they have flukes. My best guess is that there was something wrong with them to begin with. Which is why the mollies were picking on the one angel, normally they could live in harmony. Illness is usually why fish will pick on another fish. I have 7 angels and none of them show any signs of things like that, and they have rainbows as tankmates which can be alot more nippy than rainbows. Do you mind me asking where you bought the angels from?

Sometimes fish will bump up against objects or shimmy if they have flukes. My best guess is that there was something wrong with them to begin with. Which is why the mollies were picking on the one angel, normally they could live in harmony. Illness is usually why fish will pick on another fish. I have 7 angels and none of them show any signs of things like that, and they have rainbows as tankmates which can be alot more nippy than rainbows. Do you mind me asking where you bought the angels from?

I got them from family pet supercentre in sherwood park and I would have taken the other two back but when I went to get the replacement male they kept the reciept so I couldn't take the other two back. The fish I usually get from they are very healthy so I was quite shocked.

All LFS's will have bad stock from time to time, alot of it has to do with their suppliers. My fav store I always get healthy fish from just got some discus in a couple weeks ago, he was expecting to sell them within a few days cause they all appeared healthy, but a few days later they were showing symptoms of being sick, so I have been waiting almost 2 weeks to get them so he can treat them and make sure they are healthy again. Problem is most stores don't QT their new stock first.