BEST CANISTER

boomerbob

I've used all of them and heres the break down. Eheim HAND DOWN has the best filter media. There substrat Pro had the most surface space for bacteria to grow and we all now the more benafical bacteria the healthier your tank will by. Its true that they have a slower flow rate but thats mainly to grow the benafical bacteria faster and more of it. With them having a slowe5r flow rate you can up the size of the filter with out blowing your fish out of the water. The professional 2's and WHY more user friendly then Renas. Renas are for the most part reliable and do have a faster flow rate if your looking for that. They dont come with all the media where all the other filters do. If you buy the Rena go with the Substrat Pro. I've had a few Renas leak on me for no reason and then stop and start work well again. ???? Marinelands are reliable and more user friendly then the Rena. Cascade filters are ok. No beef with them.

I run Eheim for all my Canisters and their media in all my hang ons. THey are the Best.

Both my XP2 and XP3 came with most of the media (all but BIO). I bought the the eheim coco puff media and thought it was my dirtly little secret but I guess it seems common. I have not had them long enough to be able to speak on longevity. The XPs have a valve to throttle flow but once I added a spong on the pickup I found the current quite mild much to the anoyance of the corys.

One of the LFSs had all discussed filters in a test tank and I spent hours playing with them all.

This canister is on a 65 gal african tank { my wife got some off my son } and 11 differant plecos , my wife loves

plecs . The fluval is still hooked up and running BUT im still going to replace it as i dont want a flood if the

power goes out . As long as the power is on it works fine , but if the power is cut it starts to syphon the tank

and leak out of the motor housing , still cant find the source of the leak . talked to 2 guys at LFS and they

said the housing must have hairline crack , o-well i want to try a differant canister anyway so this gives me

an excuse to buy one . again thank you all

I had a recent experience with Fluval 404 that after 5+ years started leaking out of the motor housing. When I took it apart the impeller cover hadn't seated properly. Maybe something to check.

Eheims are rated by media, they are way to overrated by the company itself.

The classic line is top notch, most people say they haven't died on them yet, i got to toy around with one for awhile, it was pretty fun.

Rena's i had an XP3, it was awesome the flow was awesome and setting up was relatively easy, it just took me awhile to do it properly lol.

I currently have an eheim ecco 2232 for my nano, i've hooked it up to a bucket of water, damn it was easy to set up, and runs pretty quiet.

My vote goes for Eheim, the costs is very justify-able, but if you're looking for flow over filtering capacity look elsewhere.

Well thanks again to you all for your suggestions , After going to 3 LFS and looking at all the canisters that were talked about

on this page I purchased an Ehiem pro II 2065 . Have not set it up yet but after looking at the way it is constucted I am

quite happy with the way its made . And I finally did find the source of the leak in the 405 , when I took it apart last week

and gave the houseing a slight twist I could see a very fine crack that ran around the base of the of the Impeller well

and when plugged in would have small bubbles form at the point of the crack . So when the unit was running it would not

leak as the impeller would draw a small amount of air into the well { That is why I could see micro bubbles coming in to

the tank when the 405 was running } . But if I turned { unpugged } off the 405 water would start to syphon back down the

hoses and out the crack . as long as it runs with the valve open it will not leak but if there is a power loss you have to

close the valve on top of the canister to prevent a major mess . So if we are not home O-BOY . so as soon as I can the

Ehiem is going on line. Thanks all