Vals are getting out of hand

Goldy

What does everybody do with there Vals that have gotten out of hand & are starting to take over the rest of the tank. I have a planted 38 gal & they have spread like crazy, sending out tons of runners as well as super long, some are getting to be 2 feet higher then the tank when I hold them straight up, so not all of the light are reaching the bottom plants. Question is how do you thin them out & make shorter. Do I just cut off the runners & trim the existing plants or cut them off at the base & let them grow again?

Thanks.

You can chop off the top near the water level- give it a little point to look less "hacked". Also, uproot any new runners and replant (or sell, give away, etc.) Do it as often as necessary- the timing will vary from tank to tank.

You can gently pull the new growth and get many plants all hooked together, then cut the runner. Plant the extra along the back glass to make a background all the way across. Are you using giant val? I found the shorter varieties work better in smaller tanks.