Newbie question regarding CO2

cichlidmomwanabe

Hey everyone. I have never kept live plants but now with my discus I would like to have a semi planted tank for them to cruise around in. So here is my question, do I have to have a CO2 system to just have a few plants and will I be able to run an airstone for the fish? The tank is a 72 gallon tall, with a 3 bulb light canopy(only running 1 bulb in it so far as my pirahnas are in it right now) Also what are the easy plants to grow? Thanks for any help

Vallisneria, Hygrophilia polysperma are the easy and hardy ones that come to my mind. How much light do you have and at what spectrum? 6700K bulbs work the best (IMO) Also, your substrate will play a factor. Vals and Hygros will grow in sand or fine gravel and without the addition of CO2.. Just with ample light and fertilisers, I think you can get them growing like weeds.

I have a canopy on it that has room for 3 t-8 bulbs. I can put really whatever will work for bulbs in. I have zoo med 5500k full spectrum in there right now. The canopy has 2 switches, 1 operates 2 bulbs and the other does 1 bulb, so I could switch up my bulbs to better suit the plants as well.

There are a few plants that work quite well without CO2 in a 72 gallon.

Java fern (all varieties) Narrow leaf and Windelov would look really nice in large portion tied onto drift wood.

Anubias 'nana' works really well for 72g. they don't get huge like the other varieties and can tolerate lower amount of light.

Cryptocoryne balansae and retrospirilis are really good for background and wendtii varieties are good for mid ground. The other crypts tend to send out extremely long runners so you will have crypt popping up all over the tank.

If you want a foreground, Saggitaria subulata, but I would just leave the front empty so the discus has a easier time to eat.

The 82f temperature isn't a factor for most if not all plant. 3x T8 will be plenty for these plant. You can probably get away 2x T8 with a really good reflector.

Edited by EDGE

Im growing all the plants they spoke of without Co2 and they are doing great. I am growing Val in a 90gal and it growing like crazy in the sand. As long as you have the right amount of light you should be fine. Adding Seachem Florish will helpa lot. The like their Iron. What Temp is the tank at??

It will be at 84. Im just asking as I now have a little collection of 7 discus(5 in quarentine) and 2 in the 30 gallon right now. Once my 225 is going in the next couple of weeks, I will be moving my cichlids to the 225, the red bellies to the 75(standard 4') and the discus to the 72 tall. I really like the look of the real plants. Thanks for all the replies and advice, I will try out the plants suggested for sure!!! :thumbs: