breeding frenzy

dk77

Well my tang tank has begun to go crazy, my leleupi, black calvus, and cyprichromis have all begun breeding. The crypichromis spit out/ swallowed her eggs after the first attempt, but I have a feeling more will be comming soon. The calvus are guarding a shell and am pretty sure they bred yesterday. The leleupis are holed up in the texas holey rock guarding it like mad, I can't see into their cave to see the babies, but I know they are in there. With that being said I have a few questions for anyone with experience breeding these fish:

1) Should I move the calvus shell into a new 10gal tank, or should I move it to a floating nursery? and around what day should I move it? I have read day 4 is a good time?

2) I have heard it is easy to stress the cyprichromis by moving her, so same question as above: should I put her into a floating nursery to spit or should I move her to her own tank to spit? I have no experience with stripping and would like to avoid that if at all possible. Does 18 days seem like a reasonable time to move her?

There is no way for me to get to the leleupis without ripping apart the tank, so I think they will become food for everyone.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update: I left the calvus shell in main tank for a few days, then moved it (without female) to a floating nursery without actually seeing any eggs, I just noticed that when the female ventured out she seemed much smaller in the belly. Yesterday I finally noticed some wigglers comming out of the shell and hanging around in the floating nursery, they look so strange, my girlfriend says they look like little sperm :). I wish I had my camera to take some pics :(. The plan is to move them to a 10gal tank once the yolk is used up. I'll keep you posted.

DK

Edited by dk77