Not again...

Vallisneria

I have the worst luck with Neolamprologus caudopuncatus. I've never been able to keep them alive for some reason but I thought i'd try again. A couple weeks ago I bough 11 caudopunks from Spencer jack. Up until last week they were doing great, swimming around, eating great. Then last week I noticed that they were sticking close to the bottom and stopped eating. I tested the water, NH3-0, NO2- 0, NO3-5, everything looked good. I did a water change anyways hoping it would help. After a few more days nothing improved, still not eating or moving. I kept testing the water, everything looks fine. I did water changes ever 2 days anyways.

So then yesterday I decided to test the temperature of the water. It tested 73*, when its normally 77-78*. I dont' know why the temp was low but i quickly turned up the heater. Today its reading 76-77*.

Would a temp of 73* cause them to stop eating, and moving? I already lost 2 of them and I just checked on them this morning and it looks like a couple more are dead/dying :cry:

Any ideas on what I can do? I dont' want them all to die.

...not warm enough? Lake habitat "temperature remains stable year round at an average of 80° F (26.5°C) "

I've never tried these so I was just skimming over stuff online . They also say...."Water changes amounting to 25% of the aquarium every 10 to 14 days are appreciated, a change of water in excess of this quantity or at more frequent intervals is not likely to be appreciated and can cause undue stress on the fish."

Just checked the tank again, scooped out 2 more dead fish :cry:

Tanks temp is getting warmer, its around 77-78* now(hard to tell with this crappy thermometer).

I guess with a temp problem there isn't much you can do besides warm up the tank and wait.

I have no idea but I think i'm cursed when it comes to this species. I've tried 3 times to keep them and each time something bad happens and I loose them all.

I would think to a fish born and raised in 80 degree water, 73 would be very stressful and slow down their metabolism. Yes, I think that would be enough to make them stop eating.

Sorry to hear that you have had so many losses. :( It's very discouraging!