The prettiest smile in the west

murmade

This is our 5 year old Greyhound...Holly! Notice her beautiful Grin! This is how you stop MTS!!!!!!!!

It's the ultimate cure for multiple tank syndrome.....NO time left! :rofl:

post-1072-1247202595_thumb.jpg

Edited by murmade

here is a pic of my boston terrier "cash" he has a great smile but looks semi-retarted. lol

and the fawn one is my valley-bull "neisha" shes my baby and look at that smile, minus the rubber tire in her mouth! :smokey:

The boston looks very suave! lol

I love the third picture of Holly.. she looks so content. Chase has that same rubber tire! But he'd rather play with the string that came with it :rolleyes:

She is one happy girl now that she no longer has to race! She's learned so much about being a dog in the last year.... including how to use stairs.... that was scary at first! It's like having a giant - wide eyed puppy!

I wasn't sure at first about adopting an ex racer... but I must admit, she's the best dog I've ever owned!

Edited by murmade

Good on you for adopting a retired racer, Greyhounds are beautiful dogs. Is it true you can't take them to an off leash area? My husbands brother adopted one a long time ago... they renamed it Speedbump, said it was the laziest dog they've ever owned, poor thing.

Edited by EowynJane

Good on you for adopting a retired racer, Greyhounds are beautiful dogs. Is it true you can't take them to an off leash area? My husbands brother adopted one a long time ago... they renamed it Speedbump, said it was the laziest dog they've ever owned, poor thing.

If it's fully fenced, she can go to the large off leash by my house, but without fences its not an option, Holly tops out at about 60km/h, if she see's a squirrel...... she's history. The other main problem is little dogs that look like bunnies, she ummmmmm.....gets excited! She is getting better at listening off leash, however sometimes the prey drive is too much.

They can be lazy if they are allowed to be. They spend 20 hours a day in a crate at the track, so they are used to being immobile.(Thats why they make great apartment dogs).They are sprinters, so they are not used to walks or long runs, their lungs and muscles aren't trained for it, it takes a bit of conditioning, But if you walk them, and teach them to play they come around. Holly walks between 2 - 6 km per day, and we take her hiking every weekend. But in the house, she goes and lays down, and she's never under foot. The perfect city dog. But when she sees her leash she turns into a kangaroo, it's the happiest part of her day!

On a side note, a large number of dogs at the off leash areas, are not trained at all, I've seen far too many out of control dogs with no owners in sight, or dogs attacking unsuspecting dogs, and their owners don't care, so I try to limit my visits to un-busy times. If a dog gets aggressive Holly remedies the situation quickly, She's rolled a Doberman, a Golden Lab, and a husky, and it's over before you can blink, especially if a dog jumps at her Mommy or Daddy,(but especially the Mommy) She hasn't hurt any, she just makes her point known! And no aggresion toward humans, ever.

Haha... I always tell people my dog just really likes little dogs and that's why he's always chasing after them, but in reality it's his prey drive. He never hurts them, he seems to understand they are not prey, but they trigger that desire to chase. A lot of people don't know that a border collies herd drive is actually a type of prey drive.

I've spent quite a bit of time at off leash areas, I haven't had a lot of problems but I have had a few. The biggest problem at the one I go to is people riding bikes where they're not supposed to. They always ride really fast and think they have the right of way... in a dog park. One time my old dog stopped in the middle of the path and turned sideways to look at me right in front of a bike. The guy on the bike stopped and said "Hey, call your dog" I just said "No" and kept walking.

Holly really is beautiful, I love black dogs. Have you ever thought of trying her out at agility?

Holly really is beautiful, I love black dogs. Have you ever thought of trying her out at agility?

Thanks, It takes a while for greyhounds to retrain their bodies after racing, she spent all of her time going in 60km/hr bursts, for 623 metres, only making left turns, so in a fast run, if she tried to go right, she could tear a muscle, pull a tendon, or break a leg. But now that she's been off the track for a while, walking 5 Km a day, and playing with us and other dogs, she's a lot more nimble. But she is still really clumsy lol.

Geeze, I never realized racing was so hard on their bodies.. now I'm really against it :angry:

Well if you ever decide you want to try agility with her let me know, I can give you the web sites to some good clubs. I've been active in agility for 11 years now, I retired my old dog last summer (much to her dismay!) at the age of 13. I've yet to meet a dog who didn't love it, it's excellent physical and mental exercise for them. Everyone I meet thinks Kelly is much younger then 14, she still loves to play and kick Chase's butt and I really believe it's because of agility.