HELP! I have FRY! first time w/ live babies

BettaBeats

hey! I just looked in my tank and I have FRY! Two at least.

I am not sure where they came from?!

I have 5 rasbora hets, 1 red wag platy, 1 male betta, and shrimp/snails.

It looks like they must have been live birthed because the egg sacs I saw I damaged because they were snails (on the filter).

I am kind of interested in saving as many as I can...

PLEASE HELP!

I think rasboras and platys can give live births? My platy has been hiding in the corners behind the rocks and drift wood and looked puffy, but at the same time, the rasboras are the only multiples.

Also, I havent had the fish in the tank longer than two weeks.. any of them.. so i'm not sure they'd be egg births but rather live bearing..

Edited by BettaBeats

Its probably platy fry. They are livebearers(have live babies, not eggs) and the female was pregnant when you got her. Rasboras lay eggs.

If you want to keep the fry you need to give them tons of hiding spots like fine leaved floating plants or remove them into a breeding trap or into their own grow out tank. Even with hiding spots the other fish might still be able to catch them.

With livebearer fry, since they are so big at birth you can feed them finely crushed/powdered flakes or pellets after you dont' see their egg sack anymore. Feed them sparingly a couple times a day.

thanks! I have it under control I think. I may be new to having my own tank but I have seen fry holders before. I made a quick one out of the bottom of a 600ml pop bottle with small slits to allow water flow, attached it to my tank with my magnetic glass cleaner, put in some cobomba clippings and some gravel and i have 3 fry in there now. It is DEFINATELY the Platy. She's rubbing her belly on the ground and pooping then 'plop' out comes a fry which goes to hide in the cobomba.

The Betta is the one thats seeing them as food, so I am not sure if i should put him back in the 1.5 gallon vase on my table for the next while or leave him in there (he really thrives in the 10 gallon)

heh, Im quite enthralled that my first tank is doing so well to be honest. aside from green water...

Edited by BettaBeats

If the fry are in the DIY breeding trap they should be safe from the betta. Sometimes larger fish can suck fry through a breeders net but they should be safe from a betta.

Make sure the water is really flowing through the DIY pop bottle. The slits might not be big enough to get enough circulation. You could cut out bigger areas and cover the outside with pantyhose. OR there used to be a thread about making your own breeder trap out of a margarine container somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here is the link http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showt...543&hl=trap

Edited by degrassi

after the slow initial births the platy started popping them out faster. i've managed to save 8-9 in my make-shift fry cup for now.

However, my betta loves the taste of the fry so Im sure a few went that way (he's the reason i saw the fry in the first place)

and now I have just witnessed my Ghost Shrimp snacking on a fry.

Any tips on raising these guys? I am able to use use the magnets to pull the cup down slightly under the surface to exchange water, they have cobomba clippings, and I wouldn't mind testing myself to raise them.

Do you have brine shrimp eggs? Hatch some of those out, or micro worms etc. Live food for fry is great . If not you could simply crush up any food you were feeding mom . Don't feed too much but several times a day. Once they grow a couple cm you'll be able to release them back as the beta should leave them alone (they'll outrun him). Good luck and congrats.