Brown Algae

Samgoody

A little more info might help a bit :)... like how long has the tank been running, what kind of light do ya got on there, how many hours a day are they on, what kind of plants and how many, ferts, etc... BUT brown algae is usually due to low lighting and not enough plants to eat up the excess nutrients, IME anyways. Also it is quite common in newly set up tanks.

i had this tank running for 1 & a half year but just adding plants since Feb. Its a 70 gal.(48" wide) tank with 1 power glo and 1 aqua glo(total of 80w) for lighting(leave on for about 10-12 hours a day), i have a few crypts, a few java ferns and 1 anubias, i use flourish iron and flourish once a week.

I am not sure if its because I don't have enough plants or too much fert., or too much light.......

any thoughts?

Hmmm, well, I'm no expert but it could be too much of the wrong kind of ferts, your plants are mainly root feeders not water column feeders, so there could be excess in the water that the algae is taking advantage of.

Also 80 watts on a 70G is pretty low light. What colour spectrum are those bulbs?