tropheus or discus

bigb1112

i am hopeing to free up one of my 115g tanks and was woundering what are the pros and cons for both i would like something that is diferent also how many of each i could keep in a 115g and if i would have to chane my rocks to something morerounded i have a mixed african setup right now but the rrocks have a bit of sharp edges on them with a sand bottom and what kind of a clean up crew i could use i have 9 multi punks and3 albino bn in the tank right now

First of all, you would have to do one or the other, not both, as water conditions and temperature are different.

Both fish can be difficult with their challenges but both are wonderful fish.

I have tropheus now and have good breeding and not lost one of my fish that I bought over a year ago. Others lose fish continually. I tried discus many, many, years ago and was not successful. They are beautiful looking fish but I am not sure I want to venture there again. Others in Alberta do great things with them.

The other thing to consider is their temperament. Discus, to generalize, seem calm and peaceful and tropheus seem "psycho." Do you want relaxing or lots of action?

Some members are keeping both at the moment and can give you a better analysis. Neither are what I would consider beginner's fish. Water changes and careful monitoring.

Number-wise, I have 23 adult tropheus in my 90 gallon. I had thirty but it seemed a bit much so dropped it down to 23. Two large rock piles at each end, no plants but plants are okay. I cannot comment on the discus numbers.

Edited by punman

I have both a 90 gal discus tank and a 90 gal tropheus tank. The discus tank definitely will require more water changes. I do two large changes per week - the tropheus tank - 1 change per week. I have had great luck with my tropheus - have not lost an adult for 18 months. My discus I have had for over two years. Feel free to PM me if you would like any other info.

Tropheus might be the better bet if you want a active tank. Discus I think are like collecting art. They are expensive and look really nice but don't really do a whole lot. They also need really clean water and are sensitive to changes. It is also a PITA to keep the pH soft for them. I would do tropheus.