Jumbo clown loaches

t-man

:angry: I just lost a 9 incher today! Since they have been in the wild so long they are having a hard time acclimatizing to an aquarium and I have yet to see them eat. I have tried different ornaments to help reduce stress but they would all cram into one ornament and then get stuck and couldn't get out. I have watched to see if they would eat when the lights where off but not a single one would come out. Two days ago I was cleaning the tank and pulled out the hiding spots on the loaches so I could see how they were doing. I noticed one was very stressed and breathing heavy. I had no choice but to move him to a hospital tank. I treated it with aqua plus and some melafix as his fins where ragged and his color was dark in his face. When I check today it was dead. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Today I pulled the ornaments out and they are moving around a bit and shifting through the gravel for food. I sure hope the other 6 don't stress out. More to these loaches then meets the eye when they have been in the wild for so long. -05-

• 3 weeks later...
Picked up 7 jumbo clown loaches yesterday and thought I would post a few pics. I put them in my 450 gallon with my other 7 loaches so now I have 14. Talk about a size difference!! :shock: Once they get settled in I should be able to get some better pics. One of them caught his spear on the net and it protruded for a while but when I woke up this morning I had seen it went back in. :thumbs:

Very nice color and heathy! :thumbs:

It's not unusual for larger loaches (wild or domestic raised) to take a long time to acclimatize to a new tank.

Not eating for several weeks is not unusual either. I recall reading about an 11" loach that didn't eat for 3 months, and it wasn't a recent wild arrival, it was surrendered to a LFS where the new owner worked, and there was nothing but clown loaches in the tank that it was added to. The larger they are, the more sensitive they seem to be to getting moved.