Confused Newbie Needs Help!

Ripley

Thanks Raj! Another very thoughtful post. I had thought about the mixing of the two over time and water changes and whatnot. I do know this tank will be moved at some point, just when depends on when I finally venture out on my own - but that is something I will have to cross when I get there. Ah yes! I remember seeing the bags of fluorite at NCS. Thanks for the link on fertilizers! I will check it out a bit later - I like the idea of spending less money. ;)

Thanks CBG - I looked at the Fluorite link. I'm liking the red stuff from the picture. :)

Werner - That's what I was thinking when I checked the bulbs. I was a bit surprised, as my tank always looks so bright, so I was expecting a higher wattage. I am (hopefully) going for more of a jungle look in the future. I think my perches and knifefish would appreciate that. I will be starting slow, as was mentioned and as was my initial thought, and get a feel of it all before I go crazy.

To all: Seeing as how my lighting will definitely needed to be upgraded, and I already have light fixtures... Can it be as simple as going to a store (NCS, most likely) and purchasing two new bulbs? I was doing some reading at Big Al's on the lights they have there, and some were specifically for growing plants (same ones I believe that NCS has). I really cannot afford to buy whole new light fixtures at this time (nor can I justify it when I have two that work fine). The fixtures are pictured in my first post, if you want to take a peek at them.

Of the suggested substrates (Fluorite, Eco-Complete, and Aqua Soil, other?) is one better than the other? (I know Raj suggested Fluorite, but I just want to check the general consensus!)

What brand of fertilizer is a good one, and one I should start with? (Do these fertilizers contain enough of an added source of carbon?) Excel has been mentioned already.

Checked the bulbs that I have - I have two 15W bulbs. (Well, that's what the one says, and I'm assuming the other is the same.)

Flourite involves a lot of rinsing and for a 75 gallon tank, it will take a long time considering you will be purchasing at least two bags of fluorite (50 lbs). If you don't want to waste a couple hours rinsing the gravel until it's clear, choose a different substrate. I used playground sand on top of soil in my tanks. It's just as bad cleaning that sand as the flourite. I don't suggest putting sand on top of the flourite if you go with that option. As someone else mentioned, over time, it will mix together and won't be as attractive anymore.

I wouldn't worry about fertilizers yet if you have a heavy fish load and feed lots. I successfully grew many low light plants in regular gravel with a single 40W light bulb over a 45 gallon tank. That tank also received a lot of direct sunlight. But my circumstances will be different from yours.

You can start with an all in one fertilizer until you understand what plants need and the different ingredients. You will quickly find that it costs a lot in the long run. Dry fertilizer is a good way to go as you don't need to keep the liquid solution bottles in the fridge (in case they mold). I looked around Calgary and the hydroponic stores charged too much for all the fertilizers. My source is now www.aquariumfertilizers.com . It only costs me $30 for over a years supply of dry fertilizers. It is a US website but at least it comes through the mail in a week.

You can simply change your bulbs and keep your existing light fixture but you will be limited to plants that require low light. the higher light plants will eventually die off. Plant keeping is so addictive and you will eventually buy a new light fixture.

You can always go to Home Depot/Rona and pick up a 48" T8 double fluorescent fixture for $18. They also carry Sylvania 6500K Lumens, 91CRI daylight bulbs for $4 each. $30 is pretty good for adequate low lights. T5 lighting is nice but much more expensive. I highly recommend that you purchase a $10 timer so that you don't have to worry about turning the lights on and off. Plants like consistency with their photosynthesizing period. Maybe get rid of the existing canopy, have a glass shop cut some glass tops instead for $15 and then mount the light fixture on top.

Hey this is my first post :thumbs: Good luck!