Goldfish acting ... lazy?

Erin

I noticed today that my comman goldfish are acting lazy. their breathing is fine, they swim and eat well. Its weird, they swim around then I'll look over at them again and one will be laying at the bottom. It started with one now 3 are doing it. They are breathing normal, water is normal, temp is about 68F. They haven't lost any coloring at all. They look like they are being well lazy, taking a nap and then swimming again, take a nap and swim and so on. Am I being a worry wart? or is there maybe something wrong?

I noticed today that my comman goldfish are acting lazy. their breathing is fine, they swim and eat well. Its weird, they swim around then I'll look over at them again and one will be laying at the bottom. It started with one now 3 are doing it. They are breathing normal, water is normal, temp is about 68F. They haven't lost any coloring at all. They look like they are being well lazy, taking a nap and then swimming again, take a nap and swim and so on. Am I being a worry wart? or is there maybe something wrong?

How many common goldfish do you have in your 20 gallon? Did you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? In my experience, goldies don't usually sit on the bottom for any extended period of time if nothing is wrong. But you never know, if your water parameters all check out, it could be nothing.

How many common goldfish do you have in your 20 gallon? Did you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? In my experience, goldies don't usually sit on the bottom for any extended period of time if nothing is wrong. But you never know, if your water parameters all check out, it could be nothing.

Nope everything is fine thats why I'm so puzzled. I have 3 commons in my 20g.

Nope everything is fine thats why I'm so puzzled. I have 3 commons in my 20g.

Are they still acting lazy? It looks like you're already doing this, but keep an eye on their breathing. If that stays normal, then everything is probably fine.

Yah they still are. Breathing is still normal. Its weird. they swim around then take a break then swim around and then take a break. They aren't old. Maybe 3 years... I got them almost 2 years ago so Its just a guess but they where young feeders when I got them and they are now 4 to 5 inches long (lots of growth since they where only 1 inch when I got them.)

not to sound 'tsk, tsk, tsk' but in 2 years those fish should have grown a fair bit more than that. there is the possibility that they are stunted and the effects are showing.

i did some googling and common goldfish should have about 15 to 20 gallons per fish for healthy and proper housing. they are considered one of the 'pond type' goldies and need plenty of space and a large volume of water to dilute their wastes between water changes.

any plans on upgrading their tank?

(sorry if this came across as mean/brash/etc, but they really do need a bigger tank)

I found out that my land lord doesn't allow big tanks (nothing over 30 gallons). This was after I saved them from someone who had them in a 5 gallon tank. We plan on buying a house in a few years. So once we do I'll be getting my dads 150Gallon tank. but until then I am not allowed. And no it didn't come off harsh, I know they need a bigger tank thats why I do HUGE (like 50 to 75 % water changes weekly).