Video of my tank

strayner

Looks like it has some potential. Couple things that I noticed.

1. Your airstone kind of defeats the purpose of you diy co2 into the tank.

2. With hob filters you'll want to raise the water level up as high as you can to reduce surface aggitation or just like the airstone it will null the effect of adding co2.

2. With hob filters you'll want to raise the water level up as high as you can to reduce surface aggitation or just like the airstone it will null the effect of adding co2.

I am unsure how much aeration I will need.... will just the HOB be sufficient?

If you are trying to inject co2 into the water you don't want any aeration at all because what happens is the gases in the water are exchanged with the gases in the air. So all the co2 you are putting in is lost to the atmosphere instead of staying in the water for the plants to use. In turn the plants will use up all the available co2 if there is enough light and nutriends and give of o2, causing tiny bubbles to form on the leaves of some plants (aka pearling).

I am unsure how much aeration I will need.... will just the HOB be sufficient?

Even HOBs are detrimental to planted tanks because of the turbulence they create due to their waterfall nature. You should minimize any amount of surface turbulence so as not to drive out the dissolved CO2. The trick is to have a heavily planted tank, so your plants will produce oxygen and your fish won't die of asphyxiation. I have never used an airstone in my planted tanks. I always made sure my tank is heavily planted before adding fish.

Alright. I'll grab some more plants soon hopefully and try and have it pretty well planted before i get some fish. I shut off the airstone and raised the water level, so surface agitation isn't as high.