Dropsy pandemic??

balikiss

So for the past few weeks some of my guppies have been getting dropsy and dieing. I came home after been gone for 6 days, and now a lot of guppies are bloated and look like pine cones. Upon farther inspection theres even a few of them who's eyes are huge and sticking out. I don't have a test kit, but i did a water change before i left, and there is enough filtration on the tank. It's a 20 gal tank with about 20 guppies, 4 cory cats and some shrimp. But even the shrimp who were thriving have been dieing off slowly. iv tried adding salt, and parasite medication, but they keep dieing. Any help would be great! thnx.

I have always found Dropsy very hard to cure...

The only thing I tried that actually worked (for me anyways) was when I used Epsom salts in place of aquarium salts (at 1/2 dose) and used some fresh salt water (part of a new batch that was meant for my marine tank); while feeding medicated foods. They were store bought anti-biotic food and I soaked other food in garlic extract. I also had a couple drops of coppersafe in the water to fend off any ich (they were just bought from the store and in quarantine).

It worked, the platies and guppies got better, but the neon tetras who were also in quarantine didn't make it. I suspect they didn't like the salinity, but they are touchy at the best of times when just brought home.

Not sure if it helps...

I wish you the best of luck and hope your fish make it!

Edited by Crystal