melon sword turning brown at base of leaves

fishclubgirl

So I have a large melon sword that the base of the leaves are all turning brown. My theory is that the base wasn't getting enough light and have trimmed back and put it into a higher light tank too. All the other plants including sword plants in the first tanks are doing well so I don't think it's a fertiliser thing. The root system seems to be fine too. It was in a tank that has 2.8 watts per gallon and has gone to a tank that is 4.3 watts per gallon. Any other theories or thoughts??

Yes, it's a bit of a mystery!! All the other plants in that tank are thriving with good root systems. The rest of the leaf looks fine. Have trimmed it back so hopefully that and higher light will do the trick!!

I can't tell you what the problem is, but I had a similar thing happen with an amazon sword. I hacked all but 3 leaves off and the poor thing looked like a victim of a lawnmower accident. 3 weeks later I have about a dozen leaves on it that are twice the size they were before, and on tues. it threw up a shoot that is now making it's way accross the top of the tank. So I guess the key here is, almost kill it and it comes back twice as strong.