Front pane replacement

Tanker

Hey.

This is the kind of thing my brain comes up with at work when it's a slow Sunday:

Would it be worth it to buy a old/scratched/cracked tank and rebuild the front with a new piece of glass?

I don't mind the 'work' required to remove and replace a single pane, and if it's cost effective to do so, why not?

What is the 'best' glass to use? as well, what is the best glass to look for in a used tank? Is there a brand of tank that is noted for superior glass/seals or is it all about the same?

Anyone know what the approx. price on a 72"x24" piece of tempered 3/8" is worth?

lol.. or anyone know someone who owns a glass shop and wants to give me a sweet deal? :thumbs:

I don't know what a piece of glass like that goes for, but it will probably be expensive retail. Sounds like alot of work too, with all the risk. I don't think I would want to take on a project of that proportion myself. But if you have the time, you can do it. I would reccommend cutting out the old pane first, before spending the $$$ on the new one. It could be a real hassle to get apart.

Just my 2 cents

Rob

I figured it would be as 'simple' as a razor blade. Remove trim, remove sealant... and backwards again. I suppose it would really depend on the tank's original construction...

Then again, I may just get a few 24x24" pieces of glass and make a "submarine" style tank. Plywood all around, except for the three "portals" which would be decorated to look like riveted hatches as if you were looking out of a submarine, and into the sea... a freshwater tropical sea! In this case, I could also use an old, discardable tank, and just cut the front off, and reseal it with a new front... hmmm....

Ok, next person to blow out the front or back pane of their 150+ gallon, call me!

(If I am going to do something like this... it will only be on a tank size 'worth' the trouble)

Goodness... not much point at all, then is there?

Actually came up with another plan... slight variation on this theme, just a different implementation. I'll work on it, and someday unveil my creation for all to see...

In the meantime, please post re: broken/scratched/unusable tanks... anything over 30 gallons, and in anay condition... I may be interested.