Snails

Greetings,

I am wondering about some snails that I have in my planted tank.

They look like ordinary pond snails, except their bodies are a redish-orange color instead of the normal pale green color.

There are a dozen or so that must have come in on various plants. They seem to be thriving in my tank, but don't appear to be reproducing. This seems weird to me, because the last time I had a snail "outbreak", I had hundreds of the little guys in their and they were reproducing like crazy and were devistating my plants. I'd also like to point out that these snails don't seem to be damaging my plants like the others.

They all spend a great deal of time on the plants, but don't chew holes in them like the others.

I cured the last outbreak with a couple of pea puffers, that I brought in for a few weeks which did a nice job of clearing them out. Truthfully after that, it was over year before I had seen another snail.

At any rate, I just wanted to find out if maybe these were a special breed of "good" snail that I have. One that reproduces slowly and doesn't prefer plants.

Lyle

over feeding tends to allow snails to grow/reproduce quickly...maybe your fish feeding habits are different now? Or it could be the calm before the storm? lol I have lots of pest snails, and they don't typically go after the plants. I also have some pest snails that are redish, and even some that are almost blonde, I think there are just several colors of pest snails.

over feeding tends to allow snails to grow/reproduce quickly...maybe your fish feeding habits are different now? Or it could be the calm before the storm? lol I have lots of pest snails, and they don't typically go after the plants. I also have some pest snails that are redish, and even some that are almost blonde, I think there are just several colors of pest snails.

Thanks for the reply.

My Feeding habits are identical and nothing else has really changed.

I remember when I had my last outbreak, the snails were quite small still when the babies arrived, but these snails are 3 times that size and I haven't seen a single baby. Thats why I am wondering about these guys.

Lyle