Pond Koi Temperature Tolerances?

Gman44

Pond Koi Temperature Tolerances?

I've done some research & a lot have said that Koi don't like temperatures lower then 10C & nothing greater than 25C.

My questions is that...how early can I stock my pond this year?

They have spent the winter inside & are new to outdoors.

they can stay in the pond all winter as long as it doesnt freeze solid and you have a bubbler. the fish go dormant and dont need to be fed.

i dont know about putting them out if they have been inside. if they were outside over the winter they would probably still be almost dormant stage and wouldnt need to be feed that much or at all at this time of the year.

when i got my first pond and fish, i got them from a guy who was moving and couldn't take them with him. they were outside all winter and the ice had just come off of the pond. when i got there he had a 30 gallon tank beside the pond that he filled with cold water right out of the tap not dechlorinated or anything. he put about 30 6-7 inch long goldfish in there. and then we put all of the fish into 2 bags and 1 bucket.

when i got home i put them inside in the basement in unheated tanks. i think 1 fish died.

a few weeks later i dug a hole and put the pond tubs in the ground, made sure the filter worked and a few days later i put 15 of the fish outside and gave away the rest of the fish. it was way too many fish for my pond. i think a few fish died.

so that is my experience with gold fish, they are extremely hardy fish. i couldn't believe how hardy.

i think koi are similar i now have a few koi with the gold fish. this weekend i cleaned out the pond and got the filter up and running. and am now wondering when i can put them out. if it will be nice like it has been in calgary. i think they could go out very soon. i wish i had a heater.

last fall they stayed out untill there was ice on the pond.

thanks for the input...

I have already done same started the pump & throw in a small heater if that will make a difference?

Anyways to Feeder Goldfish have been in the pond for 24hrs, still alive. Also have removed the heater from my holding tank in which the Koi

are residing now...to hopefully acclimatize them to colder water. Maybe by the end of the week??

Keep me posted.

G.

i never have a heater in their tank. and their tank is on the concrete floor the temp is normally around 65.

as long as it doesnt snow they would probably be fine. i was thinking about it today, if you had a cover that you could put on it if there was a chance of snow that would be best. i dont have any cover now, but i was thinking about using a piece of 2" styrofoam you can get them in 4X8 sheets. i guess also plywood would work.

how are the gold fish doing that you put in the pond? it has been cold out.

Actually I put the Koi out earlier in the week...but they are doing just fine.

Not to active when it is cold...but since I have thrown in a 300W heater they have been a little more active.

Maybe when it get warmer I'll disconnect it...

• 2 weeks later...

how are the gold fish doing that you put in the pond? it has been cold out.

Actually I put the Koi out earlier in the week...but they are doing just fine.

Not to active when it is cold...but since I have thrown in a 300W heater they have been a little more active.

Maybe when it get warmer I'll disconnect it...

Update...the Koi are doing fine. Not very active when it get's cold.

Might do the 2" Styrofoam Insulation for this weekend as it going to be colder than it has been all spring so far.

May disconnect the heater to save on energy...with the water being that cold not sure if it really makes a difference.

I have enough water circulation between the rock fountain & umbrella fountain should keep the water from freezing.

Keep you posted...maybe next year I'll wait a little longer.

i added a few fish last weekend to my pond. they are both still fine as well. i also have lots of circulation with a few water falls and an umbrella fountain.

while i was building the water fall last weekend, when the pump was diverted from the falls the falls did freeze on the surface, but the was no ice on the main pond.

i think they should be fine unless it snows a lot.

Update...the Koi are doing fine. Not very active when it get's cold.

Might do the 2" Styrofoam Insulation for this weekend as it going to be colder than it has been all spring so far.

May disconnect the heater to save on energy...with the water being that cold not sure if it really makes a difference.

I have enough water circulation between the rock fountain & umbrella fountain should keep the water from freezing.

Keep you posted...maybe next year I'll wait a little longer.

Suggestion... I'd be inclined to insulate, keep circulation going, and keep the heater in. The other problem that goes along with the low temperatures is that when the temperatures are low, the Koi's immune system also slows. This makes them susceptible to infections as temperatures rise again, bacteria bloom, and their system is slow to respond. Your Koi are tiny babies (even at 4.5")and have a more difficult time withstanding infections. There is another problem with young Koi called Sleeping Sickness, which relates to low temperatures in ponds. Here is an article about it: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/SleepingSicknessinKoi.html

Good luck with your baby Koi!

Ya crap with the weather as it is...I have added the heater back in & may cover the pond @ night.

The Koi seem to be doing ok. They seem to lay low not expending to much energy when it's cold

& get a little more action when it warms up.

Update.

Re-applied the heater & covered the pond with plywood & laid down some old carpet on top.

A good sign this morning was to see steam vapor of the of the water fall. Water warmer than the air.

The temp held around 15C/60F...not bad, should of did that from the get go.

Just make it through this week & should be coasting & only re-applying the cover on cold nights.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...