Echinodorus amazonicus

darkangel

About a month ago my amazon sword fired up a shoot that soon became three shoots. Just did a count on the planlets on the shoots, I have a total of 22 plantlets and thats not counting the shoots that have come off of 3 of the planlets. 2 of them have a shoot with 2 plants on them and 1 has a shoot with 1 plant for a grand total of 27 amazon sword plants ranging from 1 inch to 4 inches, all have good roots growing on them. The most I have ever got off of this plant is 5 plantlets. Has this plant become a total freak of nature or am I doing something right for once.

Tank is 72 gallons with 2X39 watt T-5 6700k 1X39 watt T-5 12,000k and 1X96 watt 6700k coralife (total 3.2 WPG) on 12hrs/day.

Co2 at 6bbl/sec 24/7 with medium fish load, fed once a day what can be consumed in 2 min or less.

No ferts except mother natures special blend of fish crap.

Thats awesome. Can you post a picture? What is your lighting schedule like? Are burst times or are all 4 lights on for the full 12 hours?

My echinodorus bleheri has been putting out floating leaves and has been focusing all of its energies on more shoots. However, every shoot has just the one regular leaf at the end. Did yours start like this and then grow plantlets off the shoots, or were the plantlets already there before the shoot emerged out of the water?

I have been trying to get a good pic, I might have to get one some time between 4 and 7am. Any other time I get too many reflections, and during the day is out of the question as the whole tank pearls about 2 hours after the lights come on and all you see in the pics is bubbles.

All the lights come on full bore at the same time, I'm running them from 8 to 8 now and in about a month I will change that to 9 to 9.

The plantlets started to form pretty quick. As soon as the shoot formed a node the plantlets started to grow leaves, the main shoot is about 4 ft long and the others are about 3 ft. I never let it emerge out of the water, the tank has a closed canopy on it and the lights sit about 1 inch above the water. It has no choice but to stay submerged.

I have the tank to the point that it's pretty much maintainance free except for water changes and rubbing some dust algae off the glass every now and then.

Some of them might show up at the auction, but I have to thin out the rest of the jungle first and if I have any more spaces left I will add some of them.