1st plant on drift wood

Danno1986

Today I put the stem of Hygrophilia corymbosa Stricta in a natural hole in my chunk of drift wood. I jammed the stem in and kinda twisted it so it would stay. I did this gently so the stem isn't messed up. Do you think this a good place for it? Any one else attached this plant to wood? On the net it says that the plant need nutrient rich soil, drift wood is rich right????

If you read that it requires nutrient rich soil, then driftwood is not the proper place. The plant cannot get any nutrients from the wood, so you have to put in into the soil. If you want plants going on driftwood, then you should look for anubias varieties, and the different mosses and java fern. Java fern grows really well on driftwood. If you want some Java fern, PM me, and I can give some to you.

Raj

The only problem with stem plants is that you have to keep trimming them when they grow. By the time it got a good hold onto the driftwood, it would need to be removed and pruned- much easier to do when it's in the gravel.

The types of plants that catshannon suggests are much better suited to driftwood since you won't need to mess with them all the time.