DIY Aquarium Daul Level Stand

Gman44

Hello,

I'm the process or re-organizing my tanks...bringing them to the basement...to My little Man Cave.

Anyways I was planning to construct on Aquarium Stand out of 2x6 doubled-up(horizontal supports) & 4x4's or 4x6's(vertical supports)...all PT.

Now this stand will be housing 4 tanks, 55 gallons each. 2 each level. I'd like to think I'm pretty good in my carpenter skills...having DIY my Deck out back.

Just don't want the stand to collapse under the weight? Advisable or not.

Thanks.

Gman, properly built, this is very possible. The weight can easily be supported easily by evem 2x4 construction. The key is assembling it correctly so that the wood supports the weight in verticle orientation. You don't want to be relying on screws or wood glue, use them only for adhering joints that are otherwise sound by themselves.

If you have a sketch or two that you can share, I'd be happy to have a look and see how your doing / help where I can.

Boom :boom:

• 1 month later...

Any reason in particular why you're going with PT wood versus normal wood? Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to have that stuff in my house, off-gassing all sorts of unknowns into the air I breath. I've yet to see any well-built aquarium stand constructed with normal wood fail due to rotting in over 20 years in the hobby.