Witnessed my yellow tail acei spawn today

JLake

I witnessed my yellow tails breed today. It took about a half hour till she laid all of her eggs and scooped them up. They were lil orange eggs. After her mouth was was as full as she could get it she laid a extra 6 or 7 eggs for her partner to eat. The frontosa was picking them off as best he could. The petricolas must of smelt the spawn in the water because the whole flock came out and tried to get a few eggs. I have witnessed peacocks spawn before but the acei were not bashfull at all. I was right up on the glass watching and it scared the frontosa away, giving them enough time to spawn without his intrusion. They seemed to like it better when i was watching because they did it right up in front of the tank. She would lay 3 to 6 at a time. He nudged her belly to let her know he was ready and she would lay them turn around scoop em up and go at his egg spots. These babies wont last that long because there are alot of fry eaters in this tank. But there is still a dozen transciptus fry in the rocks, there were 20 or so firefin fry too but they leave the saftey of the rocks and get eaten fast.

• 2 weeks later...

After her mouth was was as full as she could get it she laid a extra 6 or 7 eggs for her partner to eat.

Nice to see the female rewarding the male from time to time. Sometimes my wife gives me scrambled eggs and toast!!

Congratulations on all your happy fish.

Edited by punman