Anyone else have a soft spot

Jayba

I have a beautiful male Copadichromis azereus, full color, living in a planted tank with phantom tetras, angels and cory's.

The only problem is he is blind. I would have euthanized him when he was young, but my wife put her foot down. He has been in this tank for 6 months, he eats fine, we drop food into a particular corner and he eats. I thought he would have starved long ago. A rather cruel way to go really, but putting him down despite my wifes objection would have possibly gotten me euthanized.

He is fully colored up, and as far he is concerned he is the man! Too bad there are no females in the tank to see him. He's all dressed up and has nowhere to go. Now what am I to do with him? Dunno? He has grown on my wife. So anyone who is married knows what that means....

Anyone else have have a fish they have wrecked and don't have the heart to do the deed?shock.gif

Not one that i've wrecked but i adopted a colony of Demasoni from a lady out near wetaskiwin and there was one particular fish that has no working swim bladder as far as i can discern. I was originally going to cull him as he didn't stand a chance right? Wrong...

We now call him 'Gimps' He swims at a 45 degree angle to provide lift as well as propulsion and has taken to finding perches like the top of the filter to sit and survey the domain. Brilliantly colored too i might add. He did get beaten up badly once and i found him wedged in the tank at the back nearly lifeless but hospital tanked him and hand fed him back to health. Now cruising the newly redone Demasoni species only tank happily. As the previous poster the wife is very attached to him.

Yeah I had to put down a beautiful 5 inch female eyebiter today I hate that business. Not from any disease just from the male who cleaned her clock in 48 hrs. Worst part of the hobby.

I have a big angel and a congo tetra that have both lost one eye. They have a little trouble feeding as they cannot judge correctly where the pellets are falling from. I just put food close to them and then they can pick up the pellets. They have been like this for 6 or more months now and are doing fine.

I had a gimpy Endler (named Gimpy) who had a rounded spine, it went along the curve of her body instead of going straight out. I was going to keep her because she looked to be getting along fine, but then she became gravid and I couldn't risk that it might be a genetic defect and be passed on to her fry. I would have ended up with tanks of gimpy Endlers. I know Endlers are very common but it was hard to do it.

Edited by EowynJane