Picky Cyps

salon_1928

Hey everyone,

I picked up 11 juvenile Cyprichromis on Saturday and I’ve had a few initial challenges with getting them to feed. Or maybe not – maybe they’re getting enough nutrition and I’m making a mountain out of a molehill. At any rate, any advice would be much appreciated.

So here’s the scoop…the fish range in size from 1.5 inches to about 3 inches. I did not ask my LFS what they were eating prior to bringing them home which was a bad idea. I already had some NLS 1 mm Cichlid Formula at home and I just assumed that I would drop some in the tank and they would gobble it up. The first couple feeding attempts were a bust – the pellets were ignored and pretty much went straight to the bottom.

After that I tried crushing the pellets. This got them interested and they cruised right in. The only problem is that they seem to grab the fragments and then spit them. Occasionally I notice one hang on to a fragment but I’m not sure that they’re all getting enough (it’s a pretty chaotic). I have a couple of Koralia Nano 425’s on opposite ends of the tank providing water movement so I notice them schooling in the current and it looks like they’re picking things off (I can see their mouths extending) but I’m not sure.

Any thoughts? Oh yes, I’ve been checking ammonia, nitrites and ph daily and everything has been spot-on so far.

Cheers,

Stu